Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Vanilla Rooibos Scones

I love the Vanilla Rooibos Tea Latte at Starbucks.  It's sweet, but has some bite to it from the spice, but not quite as spicy as Chai.  I love the smoothness of it.  Once I found the concentrate on sale at our local store, and I bought six - yes, six, containers of it.  As these things go, having it on hand whenever I wanted it quickly led to me not wanting nearly as often and four containers have been in the pantry for a few months.  Today, while I was destroying my kitchen grinding flour mixes, I noticed them sitting there.  As the day progressed, I kept thinking about them.  Knowing I wanted a latte but thinking there had to be more usefulness to them than that.  And it hit me...scones.  It's been a month or two since I've made scones and I've been craving one badly.  It seemed like the perfect marriage of ideas!  Of course, as soon as those scones hit the oven, I made an iced Vanilla Rooibos latte too.  :)  A few months apart makes for a delicious reunion!

Scones are one of those baked goods that look (and taste) like they're difficult to create but, in reality, they're a cinch.  If you can make biscuits, you can make scones.

Aren't they beautiful fresh out of the oven?  You can just tell how flaky and light it's going to be and I always have trouble waiting to glaze them. I mean, I guess I could skip glazing...wait, what?  Skip the glazing?  Sheer madness in that statement.  I'll wait.  Just very impatiently.

That's better.  All dressed up and ready to go.  Now that I've sufficiently teased you...time for a recipe, I guess!

Vanilla Rooibos Scones

Ingredients

  • 1/3 c organic vegetable shortening

  • 1 c all purpose flour

  • 3/4 c whole wheat flour

  • 2 1/2 t baking powder

  • 1/4 t salt

  • 1 egg, beaten

  • 4 T Vanilla Rooibos concentrate, or if you don't have that, strong, steeped tea will work

  • 2 T, more or less, whole milk


Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 F

  2. Mix all dry ingredients and cut shortening in until mixture is small crumbs

  3. Stir in egg, tea and add milk 1 T at a time until consistency is a wet, but workable dough.

  4. Turn mixture out onto a floured surface and gently knead about 10 times

  5. Form on a cookie sheet into a round shape and cut into wedges using a pastry scraper or sharp knife.

  6. Cook for 10-12 minutes.  Place on cooling rack until no longer hot and drizzle glaze over.


Glaze is super simple.  I mixed about 1/4 c powdered sugar with a splash of milk and tea concentrate.  Mix until smooth and drizzle over warm scones.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I think it's time for another tea latte with a scone on the side.  Great afternoon pick-me-up!  :)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment