Saturday, May 19, 2012

Tropical Breakfast Cookies

Want to get kids excited for breakfast?  Tell them they're eating cookies.  Instant excitement.  Sometimes, a bit too much instant excitement, but still, excitement.  That was my morning.  Imagine how loud the excitement is when it's multiplied times 6.  Done?  And I'd still make the cookies again.  Not only were they pretty tasty (okay, yes, I got excited about cookies for breakfast too) they were filled with lots of good stuff.  Calling them healthy might be a stretch because they are, after all, still a cookie.  But they're awfully close to healthy and you might get away with that label - if only to convince yourself! I won't lie, I had 4 of them this morning without one ounce of guilt!



Since I love all things tropical of course my cookies have that "island flavor" but they could easily be adapted to be any flavor combo you wanted.  I can see a cranberry pumpkin cookie in my future... :)

Tropical Breakfast Cookies

Makes 2 dozen cookies

Ingredients

  • 1 c whole wheat flour

  • 1 c flour

  • 1/2 c rolled oats

  • 1/4 c diced dried pineapple

  • 1 large ripe banana, mashed

  • 1/3 c melted coconut oil

  • 2 T unsweetened shredded coconut

  • 1/2 c brown sugar

  • 1 t baking powder

  • 1 t vanilla

  • 1 egg

  • 2 T vegetable oil may be necessary if mixture is too dry


Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350F

  2. Mix all dry ingredients

  3. Add remaining ingredients, except pineapple and extra oil,  to dry ingredients and mix well.  Mixture will be crumbly, but if too dry, add extra oil, 1 T at a time.

  4. Add pineapple and incorporate into mixture.

  5. Roll into balls and slightly smash down onto ungreased cookie sheet.  They won't spread much, so they can be about 1" apart.

  6. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until set and slightly browned.


I hope you enjoy them as much as we did!

Sheri :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment