Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Pineapple Tofu Fried Rice

I think I have some issues.  When I look back over my posts, it seems a large portion of them involve pineapple, peanut butter, and rice which really makes sense when you consider that this recipe is one of my absolute favorite take out foods!  Pineapple Fried Rice is something that I used to get really regularly at this little Chinese/Thai place a few miles away called Yummy Yummy.  I guess traditionally it is made with shrimp and chicken, but I always asked it to be swapped out and tofu added.  I love tofu.  I love the texture, and I love when it's fried and crispy, which is it is for this recipe.  Alas, there is a new cook at Yummy Yummy and I don't enjoy his rendition of it as well, and nobody else serves it, so I decided that I've gone long enough without it and made it myself.

It was pretty easy and the taste was pretty close to Yummy Yummy's but not as oily.  I think that does add an element, but I'd like it to be healthy too.  :)  Sacrifices!

So, here's what I did...and it was a bit on the haphazard side and I did stray a bit from the traditional, so remember, this is MY version!

Pineapple Tofu Fried Rice

Ingredients

  • 1 lb extra firm organic tofu, either pre-diced, or dice into small cubes, drained and dried

  • 1 c mushrooms

  • 3 T peanut butter

  • 3 c precooked and cooled rice

  • 2 T sesame oil

  • 1/4 c onions

  • 2 scrambled eggs, cooked.

  • 1 c pineapple chunks


Directions

  1. Heat oil in wok until sizzling, add tofu.  Cook until tofu is crisp, remove from pan.

  2. Add onion, mushrooms and pineapple to pan.  Cook through until onions are translucent.  Add peanut butter to pan and let melt.

  3. Add rice to the vegetable/fruit mixture and toss to coat.

  4. Add tofu and eggs into mixture and heat a few more minutes.

  5. Serve. Feel free to add chili sauce for more heat.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment