Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Nutella Mug Cake

Sometimes it's just best to lead with a picture.  Especially when there are no words to describe the amazing discovery you're about to share.  The hubby was gracious enough to serve as a model for you to showcase this amazing dessert!  I think he was upset that I stopped him mid-bite, and be honest, you would have been too!

We were finishing up dinner and he asked, "What's for dessert?" and I didn't have a thing planned.  It was just an everyday kind of night, nothing special and I started thumbing through the food blogs, looking for some kind of inspiration.  I stopped when I saw this recipe for Nutella Mug Cake.  I am no stranger to mug cakes, I've made a twist on a classic with my Hot Chocolate Mug Muffin.  But this recipe was different.  It was made in the microwave.  Huh?  A cake in the microwave.  Not possible that it was good, but I was intrigued and decided to give it a try.  After all, it did have Nutella in it.  It couldn't be all bad.

I decided to make 2 mugs of batter at once and so I adapted the recipe a bit.  I think I have more tweaking to do but it was pretty awesome as it was.

1/2 c flour
1/3 c sugar
2 eggs
1/4 c cocoa powder
1/4 c Nutella
1/3 c milk
1/4 c oil

Mix all the ingredients until smooth, and distribute evenly between 2 large or 4 small mugs.  DO NOT OVERFILL or you will have a mess on your hands.  Not speaking from experience thankfully, but these puff up quite high in the microwave and I imagine overfull mugs would overflow.  Once that's done, put them one by one into the microwave on high for about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes each.

Take them out of the microwave to this vision of loveliness...



And then, just to make it a bit more decadent, you've got to go the extra mile and add some fresh whipped cream!  In our house, fresh whipped cream is just not given the respect it deserves.  We take it for granted because I do make it pretty frequently but that doesn't it mean it's not completely awesome! No recipe here, just a little fresh cream with some powdered sugar mixed in and whipped to perfection is the perfect topper for what turned out to be a pretty spectacular dessert.  A cake in a microwave that actually was perfect.  Must've been the nutella...



 

1 comment: