Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Black Raspberry Muffins

I looked at the breakfast menu...blueberry muffins.  Hmm.  Do I have enough blueberries to make muffins?  I don't think so.  Change of plans are in order, but what do I make????  I notice the last bag of black raspberries in the freezer from last year's picking...they are destined to be part of a spectacular dessert for a dinner for friends in a few days...so can I spare them?  I debated a bit and in the end, decided, yes, I could spare them and I'm SO glad I did because these little muffins were spectacular!

So much oozing raspberry in the muffin that it was staining little fingers long before we got the paints out for art time, but so delicious.  It wasn't my recipe, but one from the Earthbound Farms cookbook, Food to Live By.  It was a gift from one of my daycare families, and I love it.  So many healthy and fresh recipes in one place.



I did change the recipe a bit for what I had on hand and the original called for pecans which I left out.  So, it's close but not exact. :)

Raspberry Muffins

Makes 12 muffins

Ingredients

  • 1/2 c whole wheat flour

  • 1 c flour

  • 3/4 c sugar

  • 2 t baking powder

  • 1/2 t baking soda

  • 1/2 t salt

  • 1 egg

  • 1/2 c buttermilk

  • 1/2 c mik

  • 1/4 c canola oil

  • 1 c frozen or fresh black raspberries


Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375.  Grease or line muffin cups

  2. Mix all dry ingredients until well incorporated

  3. Mix all wet ingredients well  and add to dry ingredients.  Mix until just combined

  4. Add raspberries and gently fold into batter

  5. Spoon batter into muffin tins to about 2/3 full

  6. Sprinkle a bit of sugar on the top of the batter if desired

  7. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean

  8. Let muffins cool for about 10 minutes and remove from pan and serve


Enjoy,

Sheri

Be sure to check out Walking on Sunshine!

Post is linked to:

3 comments:

  1. These sound delicious! I love black raspberries, the only way I can get them here is to pick the wild ones so they are special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how yummmy!! And just from looking at your scrumptious picture I can imagine the berry stained fingers. Thank you for linking to Foodie Friend Friday. Hope to see you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing a delicious recipe! I need to go pick berries to freeze! Thanks for the shout out! Thanks for joining Food Friends Friday! Please join us again next week.

    ReplyDelete