Thursday, May 31, 2012

Is it still ice cream if there's no cream???

These are the kinds of questions I have to ask because I'm just not sure.  How can something that starts like this...

...end up looking like this??

Surprisingly, it doesn't take much!?!

So, I was looking for an ice cream recipe and I kept stumbling across recipes for banana ice cream...but not banana ice cream in the sense that I'm used to.  This "ice cream" is made up of bananas, sliced thin, flash frozen and then put in a food processor until smooth.  Huh?  I checked back a few times over several days just not sure that this would be something anybody would eat.  And, then, I got my chance.  My frozen banana bag for smoothies was almost full and my bananas were ripening too quickly.  I thought of the ice cream, dismissed it, and thought about it again and decided to go for it.

I'm glad I did because it was tasty.  Not decadent like ice cream but also a LOT healthier!  I did add 1/2 c of peanut butter and some melted chocolate to it.  Also, my bananas were not getting smooth in the food processor so I did add a few drops of almond milk to loosen it up, and it helped a lot!

I gave some to the boy who we all know is the picky one around here.  He thought it was frozen yogurt.  So, pretty good.

If you find yourself with some spare bananas, time for them to freeze, give it a try!

enjoy,

Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment