Friday, May 18, 2012

Rainbow Hash

An idea has to rattle around in my head sometimes before it can spring to fruition...which is exactly how this dinner came to be.  I love when I can have dinner ready early and it's just a matter of finishing the cooking or reheating by popping in the oven, but all too often, I get busy and sidetracked.  Coming home after running in the evenings, I'm a hot, sweaty mess and the last thing I want to do is cook.  That used to mean a quick call for pizza, Chinese, etc but I am really making a conscious effort to not eat take out that we've not planned on.  It just becomes a habit and before we know it, the pizza boxes are starting to pile up.  As we were headed home last night from running, the mental list of ingredients was in my head of what we could have...oh, the possibilities...and finally, I thought I at least had the beginnings of something healthy, quick and not take out.  And, so, Rainbow Hash was born.

My skillet became a dumping ground for all sorts of chopped fruits and veggies...sweet potatoes, russet potatoes, onions, chard, apples all splashed with just a touch of balsamic vinegar and cranberry juice. All served and topped with an egg.  It may sound crazy, but, trust me, it was good.  Really good.

Take a look for yourself...

I hadn't planned on adding any meat into the mix, but at the last minute decided to add some ground turkey.  I can't eat many meats, but for some reason, ground turkey gets a pass for me.  It was good, but unnecessary for the dish to work.

I will do my best to recount the ingredients for you, but take as many liberties as you like.  It's that kind of recipe!

Rainbow Hash

Serves 4

Ingredients

  • 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed

  • 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed

  • 1/2 small onion, diced

  • 3 c chard, roughly chopped

  • Splash balsamic vinegar

  • 1/4 c cranberry juice

  • Salt & pepper to taste

  • 1 c cooked ground turkey

  • 1 large apple, peeled, cored & cubed

  • 1 T olive oil

  • 4 eggs


Directions

  • Heat olive oil in large skillet, add sweet potato, russet potatoes and onion, cook until tender

  • Add apples and cranberry juice, salt & pepper, cook until cranberry juice is absorbed

  • Add ground turkey, stir, and then add chard.  Remove from heat and heat pan for eggs

  • Cook one egg over easy for each serving of hash.  Put egg on top of hash in individual dish

  • Serve and enjoy


The hubby and the boy looked very doubtful as I handed them their plates but they were more than pleasantly surprised at how deliciously it all came together.  I hope you'll give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment