Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Cooking with Chickpeas

I know I must be feeling better because I was sure ready to do some cooking today!  Before I get into dinner and my chickpea/goulash creation...I have to share the treat I made for my lunch today. Now, I know it wasn't the healthiest thing I could eat but I still made it start to finish and I was craving it big time so I give myself a pass...ready to see it?

Sweet Potato chips.  YUUUMMMM!  I was in heaven.  And then toss them with cinnamon sugar?  Perfect.  I sliced one organic sweet potato thin and fried it in hot oil for about 3 mins.  They were crispy and hot and I was so glad I'd made my own instead of asking the hubby to go to the store. :)

On to dinner...Vegetarian Perfection again!  I had soaked some dried chickpeas over the weekend and was just waiting for the right recipe to hit me, and it did!  I was so excited to eat it because it just smelled that delicious cooking! I don't really have a good name for it, so let's go with Chickpea Goulash?



Chickpea Goulash

  • 1 cup chickpeas, canned or soaked

  • 1/4 c onion

  • 1 c cubed butternut squash (I used frozen, but the texture would be firmer if fresh cooked and then cubed

  • 1/4 c roasted cherry tomatoes

  • 1 c cooked bulgar wheat (rice or any small grain could be used as well)

  • 1 c swiss chard, roughly chopped

  • 1 t cinnamon

  • 1 t cumin

  • 1-2 t olive oil



  1. Heat oil over medium to high heat in a large skillet.  Add onion and spices and cook until almost transparent.

  2. Add squash, tomatoes, chickpeas and wheat and cook through.

  3. Add chard once everything else is heated and just cook until wilted.

  4. Serve


Couldn't get much simpler than that, could it?  It was a slightly sweet tasting dish but had some smokiness from the cumin too.  Healthy foods that taste this good make me happy!

 

 

1 comment: