Sunday, April 1, 2012

Tropical Almond Meal Muffins

A friend of mine recently headed to the beach on vacation and I had to stay behind.  It is the only explanation I've got for my recent rash of tropical themed smoothies and muffins.  I love coconut, pineapple and any other tropical type of fruit that's available.  Frozen mango has been a big favorite of mine lately and I wish I could put it in everything!  But there is no mango in these muffins.  I restrained myself.  I made these for the daycare kids...they're loving the almond meal breakfasts (see my almond bread post here) and I thought I'd try something different, but similar.  In an attempt to bring some sunshine to our morning, I created a tropical almond muffin.    I did add a bit of flour to get my muffins to rise, but it would work I'm sure to leave it out and adjust things a bit to be gluten free.



I did this pretty loosely, so I apologize.  I was in one of those "dash of this, sprinkle of that" sort of moods.  So, feel free to make adjustments to the batter based on how wet it looks, etc.

Preheat oven to 350 F

2 cups of fresh almond meal strained from my milk

1/2 cup of pineapple tidbits

1/4 cup unsweetened coconut

1/4 cup pineapple juice

1/3 cup flour

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 tsp vanilla

3 eggs

2 tsp baking soda

Mix all ingredients together and put into greased muffin tins or cups.  I used my silicone muffin liners because I've found that they work well with the heavier batters like the almond meal tends to create.

I baked for about 25 minutes until the muffin center was set and a toothpick came out clean.  I started checking at about 20 minutes though because I didn't want to overcook them.

The kids loved them!  I think every single person had 2 muffins.  I know that's a winner!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment