Monday, April 23, 2012

Oatmeal Bars

Hello, Monday!  And it's raining too?  Oh, and almost the end of April and it's calling for snow showers?  Of course it is.  Well, you can do whatever you want outside, because we are cozying up in here!  We're putting our Monday routine on hold and watching a movie wrapped up in our blankets and cuddling.  These are the days that I love what I do more than anything else.  Spending time with kids reminds you to appreciate the little things like a movie on a rainy Monday morning.  Even if you've seen the movie what seems like a thousand times.  It's never old for them.  :)  But first, we're having some oatmeal bars.  Yummy, healthy and easy for little hands to handle?  Great recipe!!



I adapted this from my baked oatmeal bars, and I used some leftover Better Oats oatmeal I had hanging around that my kids didn't get to over the winter. It could be adapted without it but you'd need a bit more sugar I think.

Oatmeal Bars Recipe

Preheat oven to 350

  • 2 packets oatmeal, any flavor really.  I used maple and brown sugar

  • 3 1/4 c quick cooking oats

  • 1 1/2 c flour

  • 3/4 c brown sugar (could use up to a cup if not adding instant oatmeal)

  • 1/2 t salt

  • 1/2 c applesauce

  • 1/2 c oil

  • 2 eggs

  • Optional - add dried fruit.  I added cranberries, but raisins, currants, anything would work.  If you leave it out, consider adding some cinnamon for flavor.


Mix all ingredients together.  Spread into a greased 9 X 13 baking pan, and bake for 20-25 minutes.  Cool for a few minutes and then cut and serve.

You don't need a rainy, chilly Monday to enjoy these bars, but if you do have one of those days, these are the prefect antidote.

No comments:

Post a Comment