Thursday, April 26, 2012

Layered Chocolate Donut

We are blessed to have a great neighbors in our neighborhood.  I mean, there are also the ones that I think every neighborhood has.  The ones who make you a little crazy and you have to just sometimes shake your head, but, luckily, the good ones make up for the crazy people.  Our next door neighbors are great.  We have similar philosophies on growing food, and sharing back and forth a variety of things; beer, eggs, vegetables and even gardening equipment.  We're glad they're our neighbors.:)  So, after being given 4 dozen of eggs over the past few weeks, in addition to some homemade rye beer he made, I thought it would be nice to deliver a treat to them.  I sent over a large bag of our swiss chard from the garden, and that's nice and all, but who doesn't want some chocolate in their life?  So, first I had decided to make muffins.  But what kind?  Blueberry?  Maybe.  But that was a little so-so.  And then I found a recipe that made up my mind.  From Two Peas and Their Pod I found a Chocolate Chip Muffins that was it.  Perfect.  With one change.  I made mine into donuts.  It made 12 donuts and they looked nice.  But this was a thank you for being a great neighbor kind of baked good.  It needed something more.  Glaze.  That's what it needed.  So, I set to work, melting chocolate, melting butter and then carefully dipped each donut into the yumminess.  For the glaze, I used a little less than 1/2 cup of chocolate chips blended with a tablespoon and a half of melted butter.  Dip the cooled donuts in and let set until cool.

Don't you wish we were neighbors?

 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks! They were tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I guess I am both a good neighbor and the crazy one. :) I did THOROUGHLY enjoy these donuts, so much in fact that I had to get details from Sheri on how to make them again. I thank you for sharing these with Jamie and I, and I'll continue to share with you what I can, when I can. Hopefully you guys like radishes, beets, jalapeno peppers, habaneros, and even some ghost chili's that I found locally. And if my lettuce and spinach I planted from seed grows, you can have some of those too (if you don't already have enough of your own). Next year, there could be strawberries, blueberries, and maybe, just maybe cherries from the dwarf cherry trees. If your interested in trying the Blood Orange Hefeweizen I made, you're welcome to that when it's ready.

    ReplyDelete