Monday, April 9, 2012

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies with Carob Chips

I am not sure why I've never thought of this before because we love peanut butter and love oatmeal cookies but together?  Huh.  Just never thought of it.  But then, I was trying to think of something different to do as a sweet treat - not a dessert but something to satisfy that occasional sweet tooth for us and the daycare kiddos and came across this recipe.  I was shocked at how much sugar was being called for and almost didn't make the recipe, but then I decided to get to work doctoring it up and making it a bit healthier.

And while I was mixing I had a flash of inspiration to add in some carob chips for good measure.  I did split the batch up - half with and half without chips in case it was a disaster.  I can tell you, it wasn't.  But either side of the plate was good so we didn't mind.



Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies, inspired by Allrecipes (and of course all ingredients that I use are organic, but that's up to you)

1/2 c  shortening

1/2 c butter, softened

3/4 c packed  brown sugar

1/2 c sugar

1 c peanut butter

2 eggs

1 1/2 c flour

2 t baking powder

1 t salt

1 c quick cooking oats

Cream butter, shortening, peanut butter and sugars.  Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each one.  In separate bowl mix flour, salt, baking powder and oats and add to the butter mixture.  Mix well.  If you like you can add chocolate chips at this point.  Drop by teaspoonfuls and bake for 10-12 minutes in a preheated 350 oven.

 

 

1 comment:

  1. [...] Powered by Yahoo! Answers Mouse here for Related LinksPeanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies with Carob Chips [...]

    ReplyDelete