Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Coconut Muffins with Banana Butter

You ever just have an idea so fantastic you have to wonder if it will actually work?  Well, I do all the time, and so far I'm about 50/50.  :)  But this time I won the lottery...cause it's a great combo of recipes.  Just thinking, a coconut muffin with smooth banana butter on top and the whole thing is pretty healthy?  I think that sounds a lot like winning the lottery.

First, I made coconut muffins.  I was going to make coconut cupcakes for Easter and it didn't happen.  But, I still had all the supplies on hand so I was determined to try something healthier that had the delicious coconut scent and taste.  And, coconut muffins were born!



Coconut Muffins - makes 10-12

  • 2 cups flour

  • 1/3 cup sugar

  • 3 t baking powder

  • 1/4 t salt

  • 1 15 oz can of unsweetened coconut milk

  • 1 egg

  • 1/4 c oil

  • 3 T coconut oil

  • 1 1/2 t coconut extract

  • 1/3 c shredded unsweetened coconut (If you use sweetened, you might want to cut back on the sugar unless you want a sweeter muffin)


Combine all ingredients except coconut and mix until smooth, but don't overmix, and then add coconut and gently incorporate into batter.  Fill greased or lined muffin tins about 2/3 full and bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes, or until browned.



Banana Butter

  • 2 ripe bananas

  • 1 tsp lemon juice

  • 1/3 c sugar

  • dash or two of cinnamon


I used my vitamix to blend together all the ingredients, but any mixer or blender would work.  Once everything was smooth, I put in a saucepan and brought to a gentle boil.  I stirred constantly until the color changes to a golden color.  Cook a few minutes longer and then remove from heat to let cool and thicken.  Serve with muffins, or would make a great ice cream topping too!

 

[caption id="attachment_578" align="aligncenter" width="719" caption="Too much deliciousness I guess. It lasted about 20 minutes!"][/caption]

 

 

4 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this but now that I have, am surprised I haven't come across this before. How did I not think of making these, they look incredible! Coconut and bananas go so well together. You've just inspired me to make a similar version. Great site! So glad I found you =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Banana butter sounds yummy! The muffins look great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you found me too!! I can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! It really was delicious. I would say it was similar to a bananas foster taste. Which I LOVE!

    ReplyDelete