Sunday, April 15, 2012

Apple Crisp Ala Mode

I love ice cream...there is just something about it.  I think I could eat it every day and never get tired of it.  One problem.  Milk and I?  Not friends.  So, I have enjoyed ice cream fully knowing that I would pay for it later with stomach pain and still, I ate it.  Crazy?  Yep.  I have a problem.  But, last year, we broke down and bought a Cuisinart Ice Cream machine.  Best purchase in a long time.  I made almond milk ice cream to my heart's content and enjoyed every bite!  Yet, part of me still yearned for the real deal.  :(  But this year...we are buying our milk and cream from a local dairy and they have their own ice cream.  I wondered...would it make me sick?  And even if it would, I had to try it.  Guess what?  Not sick at all.  Hmmm.  I wonder if the overly processed stuff just couldn't compete in terms of quality.  So, I decided to make some ice cream with their milk and cream and still no sickness.  Let me tell you, I am in heaven now.  Fresh, creamy ice cream at the drop of a hat and it tastes so good!!

So, what happens when you take this?



And a little of this?

 



Well, it becomes this of course!

 



I am a huge fan of our creamery milk.  Especially when I sit down to a dessert like this.  I would have never thought that changes in our diet would allow for wonderful foods like this to be friends again.  What a bonus!

So, my recipes are pretty basic.

Vanilla Ice Cream

2 cups cream, preferably grass fed, organic

2 cups milk, preferably grass fed, organic

1 - 2 tsp vanilla extract

1/4 cup sugar, preferably organic

Mix with a whisk until sugar is dissolved and put in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer directions.

 

Apple Crisp

4-5 apples, cored, sliced and peeled, organic if possible

2 T butter

1 1/2 cup oats

1 t cinnamon

2-3 T sugar, preferably organic

Mix all ingredients except apples and cut butter into dry ingredients.  Toss apples into mixture and put into a greased pie pan or shallow baking dish.  Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

 

Easy recipes but what a wonderful taste.  I couldn't wait for leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment