Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter Sunday Thoughts and Reflections

[caption id="attachment_543" align="aligncenter" width="441" caption="Such cute cookies!"][/caption]

I feel like life is just too busy sometimes.  I had to actually sit down and cry the other day because I just felt that overwhelmed.  I hope I am not the only person who does this.  I am sure that in these moments my husband must think he's married a babbling idiot, but I just felt like I was just a failure because I had a to-do list taller than me and I had neither the time or, let's be honest, inclination to make it all happen.  So I cried.  Felt a little better.  So, then I cried some more.  Still didn't feel like myself but at least I was on the right path.  Holidays tend to do this to me, and I know I'm not alone there.  This was an even more special holiday because I wasn't the one hosting the meal.  My little sis and her family just moved into their new house two miles down the road and she was excited to do Easter dinner.  And I was excited for her.  I chose a few dishes I really wanted to make and we were all set.  Except that my dishes didn't work out so well.  I bought all the ingredients for my coconut cupcakes and egg custard pie, and then, I bought them.  Yep.  Me, the homemade, "do everything I can myself" blogger bought dessert.  Something had to give and the day that baking sends me to tears is not a good day to bake.  Nothing good would come of that.  I consoled myself with the fact that I was still making my scalloped potatoes, a dish that's tried and true, as well as fruit salad.  Easy as can be, right, and hard to screw up?  No.  Not even close.  I screwed them up. How?  I don't know.  I baked the potatoes as long as I always do, put them in the fridge overnight, and then popped them back in the oven while I ran for an hour to get them evenly heated up.  And some of the potatoes were RAW.  Crunchy, starchy, and raw.  I was so upset.  Or maybe it was complete embarrassment?  Whichever it was, I wish I'd bought them too.  Oh, yes, and my fruit salad?  Half frozen.  I was having trouble finding fresh organic fruit for everything I wanted so used a frozen organic triple berry blend and thought it would thaw much quicker than it did.  Oh well, I guess it will go well in our smoothies in the coming days.  But, I still loved being with my family.  I loved seeing my father and his wife.  I loved seeing my daughter (who looked completely beautiful!) with her boyfriend.  And I was reminded of how wonderful it is to have my sister and her family so nearby now.  We are so close and having her a half hour away was okay but it's so nice to go on a run by her house and just know she's right there.  Lovely.  Having my husband and my son there with me and all of us together just enjoying the day mostly made up for my failures in the kitchen this weekend.   My life is a wonderful one, even when it is a mess of plans and that ever ticking clock of the calendar with schedules, appointments and whatever else makes us crazy.  And how could you possibly have a bad day looking at these cookies my sister and her kids made?




[caption id="attachment_544" align="aligncenter" width="405" caption="My favorites...the opposite carrot twins. :)"][/caption]

I thought they did a great job and have to say that I've never ventured into the world of royal icing so maybe it's time they showed me a thing or two.  I love those kids and I love that my sister is one awesome mama.  I'm glad she's in my life.

So, no pics or recipes of anything I've made.  You don't want that, seriously.  I have to break out of this funk that I've been in and get back to creating some food love in the kitchen.  Tomorrow is my last day off and I think I've got a day of puttering around the house planned along with some cooking...  It's going to be a long hours kind of busy week with parent conferences so I will be sure to really enjoy my day!

Hope you all have a wonderful week.  :)

3 comments:

  1. My dear, it is perfectly human to sit down and cry! I do it whenever I feel overwhelmed with all that there is to do, PARTICULARLY around the holidays! Christmas is the worst! Enjoy your time off this evening and tomorrow and practice some Radical Self Care! You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kathleen! I have MISSED you while you were off soaking up the sun in FL! I have a crazy week this week but maybe next week for a run? I appreciate the vote for human in my breakdown. I know it was either that or lose my mind. Crying was better, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] I made coconut muffins.  I was going to make coconut cupcakes for Easter and it didn’t happen.  But, I still had all the supplies on hand so I was determined to try something healthier that [...]

    ReplyDelete