Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Vacation is a Staycation

Tomorrow starts my summer vacation.  For having so little planned, I am way overexcited.  I know that the time goes quick, so I want to enjoy it by not overplanning it but somewhere inside my head my OCD tendencies are pushing me to plan, plan and plan some more.  Oh, and throw in a bit of mom guilt.  "This is your last summer of the boy being home you really SHOULD..."  You could finish that statement with go to the beach, go to the amusement park, go anywhere.  But the truth is, I'm just going to enjoy the time no matter what we do.  The boy and I are both off until next Tuesday and then he goes back to work and then the hubby is off for the remainder of my vacation.  Funny how that worked out.  Except for the 4th and for the weekend, they're not off on the same days.

Do you want to know my favorite part of a vacation?  Now, don't laugh at me, but I get to pretend, even for a few days, that I am a stay at home mom.  No other responsibilities except taking care of my family.  I get to cook, can, garden, clean, etc, etc with no other demands on my time.  Doesn't sound like your idea of a vacation?  That's okay, it doesn't have to be.  But that is heaven to me and I will take every second of it that I can get.  Also, it means I get to work out on my schedule.  Early morning runs and late afternoon bike rides are calling my name already...

Last year was our first vacation of just hanging close to home, enjoying the time, the company and the freedom of schedules and it was one of the most relaxing vacations I'd ever had.  I am trying to have no expectations on our week and a half, just to wake up every day and thank God for it.  And that's a good place to start enjoying everything that lies ahead.  I do have a vacation "bucket list" though.  Want to hear it?  Again, no laughing.  I am not normal.  :)

Sheri's Vacation Bucket List

  • Pick blueberries, raspberries, etc

  • Make jam and can it.

  • Lunch with a few friends I never get to see

  • Running/Biking

  • Market every day it's open just because I can :)

  • Make salsa and can it


That's it.  Those are the only things I definitely want to do on vacation.  I may sound pathetic in my boringness to some, but I won't apologize.  I'm thankful for these moments of togetherness that we get.   Although I work from home, and my family sees me throughout my workday, it's just not the same thing.  In those moments, they aren't my priority, and can't be.  During my days off, my family is my priority.

No matter what we find to get into, I'm sure we'll be making some memories, which is good because no matter how much we wish it, the time will still fly by so quickly we'll be wondering where it's gone.  I'm just glad that I get to have my fantasy life just for a bit before it's back to reality.

Appreciate every moment you get!

Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment