Monday, July 30, 2012

It's Time

Ominous sounding, isn't it?  But this is a totally, non fear-filled kind of "it's time."  Instead this is a joyful, "I feel so ready" kind of "it's time," and I really do think I am ready.  Ready for what? I'm ready to run and it's time.  This past month has been my worst running month this year.  We've biked a lot,  almost 300 miles, but not running.  Running has been shelved with complaints of heat, illness, and a kitchen remodel that was supposed to take a few days and took a few weeks.  And I'm good with all of that.  Life happens and sometimes you just need to go with it, however hard that is and no matter what havoc the stress starts to wreak on your brain.  Yes, there is the big downside to reduced running miles...stress starts to pile up all over the place until I feel like I will explode.  So, that's why it's time.  I have officially declared and registered for another marathon.  It will be closer to home, on roads and hopefully will officially check off another 2012 goal.

Strangely, I am excited, even anxious for the marathon to get here.  I was so disappointed in the series of events that kept me from my first marathon finish back in April but at the same time, I accept that it just wasn't my time.  And the entire time we were prepping for the marathon before, I was anxious, nervous and worried.  This time, when I hit the submit button for the race registration, I felt nothing but calm excitement.  I was so happy to have picked a race, and had plenty of time to train and just enjoy the process.  That calm just convinced me that this it it and I'll conquer that 26.2!

Speaking of the kitchen remodel, I think all the final touches are done and complete.  I bought a new curtain that I think really completed the look.


It really is a panel but I used two tension rods to make into a long valance.  I like that it covers the window hardware...no valances ever do that and I didn't want to have to swap out for a roman shade.   I love the new sign for above the window that I picked up at Michael's on sale for 1.99!  It really pulls so many of the kitchen's colors into one place and draws your eye right to it.  Notice all those tomatoes on the windowsill too...and there are twice as many in the fridge already!  I HAD to make salsa today because there was no room left for tomatoes.  Same thing with cucumbers...I made 3 jars of pickles today just to keep them from going bad, and trust me, we've been eating them like crazy too!


My newest ingredient to experiment with has been TVP, or Textured Vegetable Protein.  It's been a nice addition to some sauces that I would have traditionally used ground beef or turkey in, and I've been surprised at how versatile and easy it is to work with.  This morning, the hubby was asking what was for breakfast...in the past I'd have made biscuits and gravy, eggs and toast, etc.  These days it's usually banana pancakes, pb toast, something like that.  So, I joked and said biscuits and gravy and then thought, well, I bet I could do it!  He was skeptical, but I think intrigued enough to give it a shot.



Not a bad effort at all, I don't think!  He said it had a little too much sweetness, probably from the almond milk I had on hand so I'd rather try it with oat or rice milk, but still, it was a close enough dish that it hit the spot for him.  I wish I had some sort of real recipe but all I can say is I rehydrated the TVP with an equal portion of boiling vegetable stock.  I added pepper and salt to taste with a dash or two each of garlic powder and sage and added some flour and milk to make a gravy.  I served it over homemade drop biscuits.


Eating vegan is less difficult that it seemed, or that I made it out to be in my mind.  I am mindful of the ingredients in our foods, and if something can be altered to be vegan, that's great but it's more important to us that it be organic, local if at all possible and not processed.  We eat so little dairy or any other animal products now and it hasn't felt at all like we're deprived, just the opposite.  I love it and I love the new food combinations, whether vegetarian or vegan.  :) I know our lifestyle isn't for everyone, and that's okay, but I do like sharing the journey.


Enjoy!


Sheri


No comments:

Post a Comment