Sunday, July 29, 2012

Grilled Stuffed Peppers and Some Other Thoughts, Just for Fun :)

I was so excited when the mail came and my September issue of Vegetarian Times was in the pile.  I mean, I will overlook the fact that July is not even over and I'm reading a fall themed magazine because it had so many delicious ideas in it!  One of them really caught my eye right away and I had to make it.  Grilled Stuffed Peppers.  I will say that there was one big issue looming though - our grill is out of propane and when we went to fill them, we found out that apparently propane tanks expire.  Who knew this???  I didn't.  But anyway, we haven't had a chance to figure out what to do with them, so we had no grill.  I thought that broiling the peppers in the oven would likely work, and I crossed my fingers, put a bell pepper split in half in the oven and hoped for the best. I wasn't disappointed.  It worked exactly like it should have and I had a perfectly blistered up green pepper to stuff to my heart's content! 


What a perfect meal!  Now, we all know (or at least if you read here every now and again you might know) that I rarely follow a recipe.  It's something in my dna or something, I don't know.  I just look at a picture and then wing it.  One usual exception is baked goods - I follow the recipe at least closely enough that there are few variances.  But other foods, I'm like a mad scientist in the kitchen.  A pinch of this, dab of that and before I know it, I'm done and I have no recipe to share.  I am really bad at this whole recipe side of the food blogging thing, I know.


So, here's what I did.  After blistering my halved, cleaned bell pepper, I sauteed some frozen corn (no fresh on hand) with some salt, garlic, onion and a bit of olive oil.  I added some fresh cilantro and lemon balm at the end of the cooking.  Into the empty pepper, I put a layer of crumbled goat cheese (for vegan, pressed tofu would work well too) and then topped it with the corn mixture.  I put the whole thing back in the oven for about 5 minutes to broil and blend the flavors.  That was it.  And it was beautiful!  Not only that, it was delicious!!



Don't believe me???  This meal was gone so quickly, I wished instantly I had seconds.  But, alas, I'd only made one half for me and the hubby.  You can bet we will making this again, and soon!  I paired it with some tomatoes and basil drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette and a simple fried potato hash.  For dessert we made a delicious peanut butter ice cream which was just rich enough to balance our meal out.



Empty plate = summery goodness!


I can imagine all kinds of different fillings in our peppers to come...I'm already contemplating a squash and eggplant filling...but for this meal, the corn was great.


While we were eating, I happened to look outside and caught a glimpse of an interesting set of clouds...



Thunderstorms were in the area, but this looks like it was a thin rain cloud with a beautiful sky above and below it...and luckily we did get a few drops.  The garden and the hillside plants have been loving the rain, and I'm loving not having to water them every night.  Mother Nature has been gracious in her help this summer for us.  I wish we could share our rain with all who need it, but I am certainly grateful for all that we have too.



I've planted quite a few new plants on the hillside and the birds and butterflies seem to be appreciative.  I know that it's not as full as they're used to but it's getting there.  I'm just hoping it will help head off the erosion.  For now, seeing the splashes of color here and there are enough for me.  :)  I can't wait to see it when it starts to spread out next year.


Okay, so enough rambling for me.  We've been so busy and then I was sick so I just haven't been writing as much as I'd like.  I'm sorry and I hope you appreciate my ramblings when I do find time for them.


Enjoy,


Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment