Sunday, July 22, 2012

My Last Kitchen Post...I Hope!

Well, it's been 3 weeks since the beginning of my kitchen project.  Several times I have been able to spy that elusive light at the end of the tunnel, only to head backwards to start something else.  Not now.  It is all done.  And I love it.  It's exactly what I wanted and I just love going in there to cook and, in all honesty, sometimes just to look at it.  I have to start from the beginning because it will just be easier that way.

Here's what we started with...



And here is what we had when we first *thought* we were done with the project...



And here is today...



What a difference a few weeks makes!

Here's the rundown of what we did:

  • Painted the kitchen cabinets - first white, then glazed, and then back to white

  • Painted the island - first red, then aqua

  • Painted all the cabinet hardware

  • Changed the dining area light

  • Replaced the island countertop with cork

  • Used wallpaper and paint to replicate a tin backsplash

  • Sold our dining set and bought and refurbished one I fell in love with at a used furniture shop


Busy few weeks?  Yep!  But the end is all worth it.

Here's the play by play of what we did.

Close up of the cork countertop...



The cork countertop was a tricky one.  We used a cork floor we found at Lumber Liquidators and then framed it out with a flat mullion stain grade wood from Lowe's.  It is sealed with wax because polyurethane added too much shine.  I anticipate having to do this every few months, but it's worth it.  The pieces are married together so well that the cork looks like an inset and very professional.  We used a natural colored wood filler all around to seal the gaps.  Perfection.  We didn't even remove the old countertop, instead we opted to glue the cork right to it.  That gave it more height as well as a stable base.  And no waste.  :)

The backsplash...



Okay, this was seriously an easy and cheap project that gave a lot of bang to the kitchen.  Since we kept the old countertops (a huge $$ saver!) we decided to rip out at backsplash at least and we were planning to use the plastic tin tiles that Lowe's sells.  After realizing it was at minimum $150 to do our tiny area, I set to work researching other options.  I settled on a wallpaper with metallic paint that I found at Home Depot and it has fooled just about everyone who's seen it.  Now, I also did find a tutorial for using sharpies on aluminum foil to create a backsplash.  I am not kidding.  That made me laugh and shake my head.  A tutorial for drawing tiles.  Hmm.  To each their own.

The new table set!



Okay, when I bought this set it looked like this...



And just to really get a good picture of what I started with...



They'd been painted yellow, speckled with brown and then had a green hue washed on them.  Not to mention they were obviously smoked around because the fabric smelled!  I loved how fresh and clean the set became with a coat of primer, some very lightly aqua tinted white paint and some new bright fabric to match the rest of the kitchen.  I am not planning on keeping the leaf in the table because I love the size of the table now.  It's nice to have that option though.

So, I thought it would be fun to total up what our whole kitchen renovation cost us:




















































































































Paint for cabinets$32.28
Paint Primer$20.50
Glaze for cabinets$9.02
Paint for island$14.52
Painting supplies$22.62
Polurethane finish$11.39
Bead Board for Island$18.98
Trim for Island$14.97
Pendant Light Globe$6.63
Backsplash Metallic Paint$10.96
Trim for Backsplash$9.83
Cabinet Hardware Paint$7.57
Cork for Island$84.49
Trim for Island$15.80
New Light in Dining area$56.00
Wax Sealer for Island$9.47
New Table & Chairs$14.00 Net cost after selling current set
Paint for New Table & Chairs$11.37
Fabric & Foam for Chairs$35.03
Total$405.43

Well worth it!  That was the best $400 project.  I didn't keep track of my painting hours, but sweat equity is always the best.  But now it's time to get back to cooking, running and biking!  I've been neglecting those things while this project raged on...

Enjoy,

Sheri

 

3 comments:

  1. Your kitchen looks fantastic! That tabletop is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete