Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A Kitchen Remodel was NOT on the Vacation Bucket List

It used to be when I took vacation we had a project in mind.  Painting was always at the top of the list.  But since moving into this house about four years ago, we just haven't had the inclination to do anything.  I mean, when you buy a house and lose about 60K in value in the first year it doesn't make you want to put any money into it.  When we left our previous house, we had just finished a kitchen remodel about a year earlier.  If I could have packed it up and brought it with us, I would have.  It was my favorite remodel we'd ever done...and there have been a lot.

[caption id="attachment_969" align="aligncenter" width="1037"] Our kitchen that used to be ours. We installed cabinets and did everything ourselves except the granite.[/caption]

We're diehard DIYers....well, we used to be.  This house and the housing market have made us rethink changing too much beyond paint colors.  We overdid our previous house and although it appreciated about 90K while we lived there (it was a foreclosure sale that was in desperate need of TLC and a handy family) we barely recouped all the time, money and effort we had into the place.  Our neighborhood just couldn't support a house that upgraded.  We vowed not to make that mistake again.

So, this is the kitchen I have been blessed with for the past four years...

[caption id="attachment_970" align="aligncenter" width="819"] "Before"[/caption]

Okay, so we did some things...like a new sink, faucet, stove, cabinet hardware...the normal stuff.  But nothing big like cabinets or countertops.  We just couldn't justify it.  So, I had the brilliant idea Sunday morning after perusing pinterest for way too long...why not paint the cabinets????  Easy.  Cheap.  Quick.  Famous last words for all three thoughts.

Easy...well, yes, it wasn't the most difficult thing in the world but I wouldn't call two straight days of painting easy.  My legs hurt.  My arms hurt.  I want to sleep tonight for real.

[caption id="attachment_971" align="aligncenter" width="819"] Primed cabinet boxes...this doesn't seem so bad! (the first time)[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_972" align="aligncenter" width="819"] The sea of cabinet doors...my quads are killing me from all the kneeling to paint these![/caption]

Cheap.  Well...this part of the project was cheap.  Less than $100 in paint and supplies.  However, we almost had a big setback when we decided on a whim to get new countertops.  I am headed to Lowe's later to cancel the order...we'll live with this combo for a bit and see if that countertop we had decided to order would really be what we wanted.  But first, we've got to get the island color issue settled and we will still be getting butcher block for the island.

Quick.  This one was fairly accurate.  Three days from start to finish?  Not too bad.  I was thorough and patient and it paid off.  Everything went smoothly.

So, are you ready for the new kitchen....??

[caption id="attachment_973" align="aligncenter" width="819"] First coat of paint...[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_974" align="aligncenter" width="819"] Putting the glaze on.[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_975" align="aligncenter" width="589"] First completed cabinet[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_976" align="aligncenter" width="819"] Island modifications made! Added beadboard for more of a finished look.[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_981" align="aligncenter" width="655"] First look at it all put together![/caption]

[caption id="attachment_983" align="aligncenter" width="819"] Another view[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_984" align="aligncenter" width="819"] The finished island.[/caption]

I am in the process of choosing a butcher block top for the island.  That was a planned expense because I have wanted one for forever.   I'm hoping it will help "tame" the red too.  The color is really the only thing I do not love about the new kitchen...hubby wants to repaint it a dark teal, I'm thinking leave the red or paint it black.  Any suggestions are appreciated, lol.


Either way...hope you enjoyed sharing our remodel with us.  It was a different project and it was fun to plan and see it all come together again.  Here's hoping the remodel bug hasn't bitten too hard.  Our wallets can't handle that!  But a small project here and there is okay I guess.  :)


Enjoy,


Sheri

8 comments:

  1. This looks great! We painted our cabinets but the paint is chipping on the cabinets we use most, right around the knobs. Our cabinets are a beige color. We are in the process of choosing new counter tops...can't wait to get rid of the white gold speckled stuff! We're considering granite in Ubatuba. I'm not sure what to do for the backsplash...light or dark, decorative or simple/plain. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] and Dennis’ 1939 “humble kitchen” makeover — 20 photos — Retro RenovationA Kitchen Remodel was NOT on the Vacation Bucket List var _gaq = [['_setAccount','UA-2176794-1'],['_trackPageLoadTime'],['_trackPageview']];(function() [...]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I REALLY like the red! I would never have thought of that, but it really looks cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks...it looks nicer in the pics I think. Direct sunlight really gives it a funny shade. I am going to head to Lowe's later for some paint samples.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I love the color, just not how it looks on the island I think. Time to rethink it I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww!!! Thank you. I appreciate your thinking of me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the color Ubatuba! It was one I looked at here but it had more green in all the samples I saw. I think a earthy tile would blend the counter and cabinets nicely.

    ReplyDelete