Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Mushroom Burger Sub

How are you keeping cool this summer?  We're struggling to keep active but cool and last night's run did not help that situation!  We headed out into a wall of heat and humidity to start a 10 mile run around a lake near our house.  I only made it halfway.  There are day use areas on both sides of the lake, and a swimming area is at the opposite side of the lake from where we parked.  I was struggling with the heat so badly by the time we hit that beach area that I decided to stop and cool off there instead of finishing the last 5 miles.  So, I sent the hubby off to run the last 5 miles alone and come back and get me.  Yeah, I wimped out.  But I'm trying to dwell on the 5 miles I DID do instead of the 5 I didn't.

While I was sitting by myself for an hour or so, I had time to really think about dinner.  We had a casserole on the menu but there was NO WAY I was making our house hot once we finally made it back from being out in that heat!!  I devised a plan...mushroom burger subs.  And they turned out just like I hoped they would.  I've missed having cheeseburger subs...not for the cheeseburger but just the whole taste of it.  This sub gave me a little bit of that back.  :)


Being a Eastern Shore girl at heart, these looked a lot like crab cakes too...and that is another thing I've missed more than I'll usually admit.  I feel so much better when eating a mostly plant based diet but there are some foods that just transcend labels and diets.  If I were to run across some good crab meat that is from our region, I would not turn it down!  This recipe could easily be adapted to mimic a crab cake with a swap of Old Bay instead of the Italian seasoning.


The most time consuming part of this sub was chopping the mushrooms but other than that, it was a quick put together!  I had the sub rolls on hand too and that helped.  Usually I would make the rolls to go with them. The gravy was also a purchased organic mix I'd bought on a whim.  It made the sub though.  I think tomatoes and lettuce would be awesome if you didn't have any gravy on hand.



Mushroom Burgers recipe


Ingredients:




  • 10 oz pkg baby bella mushrooms, cleaned and diced

  • 1/2 c bread crumbs

  • 1 egg

  • 1 1/2 c prepared tvp (I bought dried and reconstituted it.)

  • 1 T Italian seasoning mix

  • 1 T salt

  • 1/2 small onion finely chopped


Directions:

  1. Mix all ingredients until well mixed.  If too wet, add more bread crumbs.  If too dry, add some vegetable broth or water.

  2. Preheat a frying pan with some oil covering the bottom to get a good crisp.

  3. Make patties and fry for about 5 minutes each side.

  4. Serve on roll with whatever toppings you enjoy.


I hope you love it!

Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment