Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Maple Nut Topped Waffles

I am a sucker for a delicious waffle.  Breakfast is one of the most important meals around here.  I think it's the versatility of the meal that really makes it special.  It can be sweet, savory, or even a combination of both.  Today we had a potato hash which is one of my go-to recipes because it has so many flavor possibilities... just like breakfast.

But yesterday I did something wonderful...

[caption id="attachment_991" align="aligncenter" width="819"] Just decadent. Enough said.[/caption]

But then, I did this...




[caption id="attachment_992" align="aligncenter" width="819"] Bananas make it healthy...right?[/caption]

Nothing special here about the waffle recipe.  Just my usual recipe...  But the topping?  Super easy, no crazy ingredients, just fabulousness..

I melted about 1/4 c of butter in a sauce pan, added about 1/2 c maple syrup and about 1/4 c of brown sugar.  Toss in a pinch of salt and 1/4 c of chopped walnuts and bring to a boil.  Remove from heat and spoon over pancakes, waffles, whatever.

It felt like such a special breakfast for a weekday, even if we are on vacation.  :)  I love using my tried and true recipes, like my waffles and dressing them up to be something extra ordinary.  After spending so much time revamping the kitchen, I was losing sight of my goal of a "housewife vacation."  This recipe made my feel like all was right in my little world again.  Food prepared for those you love has a way of doing that.  All of the little things I do whether it's food, cleaning, etc just feels better when it's done in love.  Life is too short to go through the motions so I try to put all of me into everything I do.

Sometimes that means you'll get maple nut topped waffles when really maple syrup would have done just fine.

Happy Wednesday everyone!

Sheri

Don't forget to stop back on Friday for our Linky Party for Foodie Friends Friday.  It's my first post with the group so I hope you stop by!

2 comments:

  1. These waffles look amazing! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday! Please come back next week with another great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These waffles look yummy! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete