Monday, July 2, 2012

Carrot Cake Redo

So, if you don't use eggs can you still make a cake? Yes.  Definitely.  I wasn't sure but so glad I gave it a try anyway!  I know I've documented our love of carrot cake before...even making it into a cookie...and this was a must try!  I found a recipe at The New Me that had been adapted from Group Recipes.  Never one to back down from a challenge of cake making, I jumped right in.   And I adapted it a bit more.  :)  Cause that's just how I am.

Results?  I think this speaks for itself.  I cannot wait for this to cool.


Oh wait.  We didn't.



I mean, could you resist the call of carrot cake cooling in the pan?  If so, you're a stronger person than either the hubby or I.  It was late, we were ready for dessert and that was that.


We did have another slice with some icing drizzled over it once it had cooled to a reasonable temperature.  Just to show the icing.  Yeah, that's the story we're going with.  It was all for you...just to take a picture.  Oh, the agony of eating a second piece of that moist and delicious carrot cake.  Not buying it?  I don't blame you.



Without any further blabbering from me, here's the recipe.


Vegan Carrot Cake


Adapted from The New Me


Ingredients:




  • 1 c all purpose flour

  • 1 c whole wheat flour

  • 1 c organic sugar

  • 1/4 c organic brown sugar

  • 1/2 t salt

  • 2 t baking powder

  • 1/2 t baking soda

  • 2 t cinnamon

  • 1/4 t nutmeg

  • a few shakes of cloves and ginger

  • 3 cups carrots (I also tossed in some leftover shredded zucchini so you can use whatever you've got here)

  • 1 t vanilla

  • 1 t lemon juice

  • 1/2 c rice milk

  • walnut halves for top of cake, approximately 9


Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease 9X9 square pan

  2. Mix all dry ingredients in large mixing bowl

  3. Mix carrots and all wet ingredients in separate bowl.

  4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix well.

  5. Spoon batter (it will be thick) into greased pan and top with walnut halves

  6. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.


What was I most upset about missing from my carrot cake???  The icing.  I mean, cream cheese icing is a staple for all kinds of yumminess that I love.  But I really, really, really want to give that kind of dairy up especially so I had to find an alternative.  And this is what I came up with...

Mix 2 tablespoons of organic soy yogurt with a few splashes of lemon juice.  Mix with about 1 cup of confectioners sugar and blend well.  I used my whisk.  I did add a few more splashes of lemon juice at the end because I felt like that "tang" that cream cheese provides was needed, but be careful and taste as it comes along.  You don't want it to taste like lemon overall.  It worked out pretty well and I hardly missed the icing.  :)

Enjoy,

Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment