Thursday, February 2, 2012

Snickerdoodle Cookie Sandwiches

 



I'm not a big snickerdoodle fan.  Just not in my favorites category.  I mean, it is a sweet and I have a major sweet tooth but these, well, I don't know.  I love the cinnamon-sugar combo but there is a tanginess to them that just doesn't do it for me.  So, now that I've spent a few lines saying why I don't like them, let me tell you that these were one of the best batches ever of snickerdoodles that I've ever made....and the hubby LOVES snickerdoodles.  I've been sick for a few days and I've been less than inclined to head into the kitchen, and I feel badly that it's been days since he's had a decent dessert - or meal for that matter.  So, he was due a good dessert.  So, I set to work this afternoon making something that would be extra special and just for him.  First, I made a basic snickerdoodle recipe and then while they cooled, I made a cream cheese filling.  I was a little worried that the tanginess of the cream cheese wouldn't mesh well with the cookie, but it actually made it sweeter.  I even had one and enjoyed it.  I mean, look at that cookie - how could a sweets addict like me resist THAT???

 



Snickerdoodle Recipe:

(from Key Ingredient)

1/2 c butter, softened

1/2 c shortening

1 1/2 c sugar

2 eggs

2 t vanilla extract

2 3/4 c ap flour

2 t cream of tartar

1 t baking soda

 

Preheat the oven to 400.  Cream the butter and shortening with the sugar and vanilla extract.  Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Add flour, cream of tartar and baking soda and mix well.   Form dough into balls - either large or small depending on what you're planning on using them for.  Combine 2 T sugar and 2 t cinnamon in a bowl and toss each ball gently in the cinnamon sugar mixture and place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.  Bake for 8-10 minutes for smaller cookies, and 10-12 minutes for larger ones.  Cookies should be set with dry edges and just a bit soft in the center.

Remove from the cookie sheet immediately and let completely cool.  While cooling, you can make filling if you're planning on making sandwich cookies, or just leave as is.

Cream Cheese Filling:

1 cup confectioners sugar

1 T whipping cream

4 oz cream cheese, softened.

Mix all three ingredients either with mixer or vigourously by hand.  Spread in between cooled cookies.  If cookies are iced, store in the refrigerator.

 

So, now that I'm feeling better, dessert has been delivered and my work day is done - I'm heading out to run.  Or maybe nap.  It's all good either way.  :)

9 comments:

  1. All I can say is, "OH, YUM!" I LOVE snickerdoodles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to remember that!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I actually have found a new appreciation for them...it's a great go-with coffee treat! Now hubby has to share. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good snickerdoodle but add a cream cheese filling and you can totally count me in for more than one. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately, the cream cheese filling has made me eat more than one. Hopefully my run this evening canceled them out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sheri! I LOVE snickerdoodles. Actually, it is one of my all time favorite cookies! But I've never thought to make it into a 'sandwich' cookie! And this looks awesome! I would think that cream cheese filling would pair very well with this cookie. And I'd certainly have trouble only eating one! Hope you are feeling better. And I'm heading off to bookmark your crock pot baked potato soup!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you stopped in, Anne! So glad to see you! And it is a yummy cookie - even I have to admit it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. [...] mentioned over the course of the past year or so that my hubby is a fan of snickerdoodles.  The snickerdoodle cookie sandwiches were a major hit around here and I was determined to make something even [...]

    ReplyDelete