Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Black Rasperry Oatmeal Jam Bars



I am always looking out for a weekday breakfast that is hearty enough to satisfy 6 growing bodies, yummy enough to make those little bodies want to eat it and healthy enough that I feel good serving it to them.  Oh, and if it can be made ahead or is fast, all the better.  This recipe really fits the bill when it comes to that criteria.  I made mine the night before and it was waiting on the counter, ready to go when breakfast time rolled around.  What a treat on a busy morning!

Oatmeal Jam Bars

Recipe adapted from Real Simple

Preheat oven to 350.  Lightly grease a 9X13 pan.

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 cup packed brown sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 cup cold, unsalted butter cut in cubes

1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats

1 1/2 cups black raspberry jam

Process flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and butter in a food processor and pulse until the ingredients are combined and a crumbly dough is formed. Add the oats and pulse quickly to combine.

Press 2/3 of the dough firmly into pan. Spread the jam evenly over the crust. Sprinkle the remaining dough over the jam, gently pressing down

Bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Cool completely and cut into bars. Store in airtight containers or can be frozen for use later.

 

I usually serve about half of the pan while they're fresh and then I pop them in the freezer in an airtight bag or container for a morning later on that I don't have time to cook and nothing is ready to go.  Keeping these types of things in the freezer and on hand gives my family better nutrition because it's already there.  I try to do this with as much as I can to avoid take out and eating junk foods.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment