Sunday, January 8, 2012

Carrot Rice Soup with Turkey Breast on Wheat with Red Pepper Aioli


My husband is in love with a panini.  Smoked Turkey Panini with Red Pepper Aioli.  It is the only thing he orders from Moonlight Cafe, our favorite local eatery and that is due in no small part to the Aioli.  He loves it that much.  I've tried before to replicate it with so-so results, but I soldiered on and got much closer this evening!

Red Pepper Aioli recipe:

7 oz roasted red peppers
1/2 cup mayo
1 T crushed red pepper
3 t minced garlic, or 3 cloves

Puree everything in the food processor.  Easy as can be.  Except it wasn't just like Moonlight's.  But he liked it.  I think I will add some cayenne next time because the crushed red pepper gave hints of heat but I think he's looking for a more all over heat.  And I will finally give making my own mayo a try and maybe the pink color of the sauce will be a bit more red.  Calling it an aioli without making the mayo is a teensy bit like cheating to me.

So, then I made a wonderful Carrot Rice soup.  I loved it so much that I am glad there are leftovers.  I know what I'm having for lunch tomorrow!!!  Super easy soup.

Carrot Rice Soup recipe

2 cups chopped carrots
2 cups vegetable stock
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 cup brown rice, cooked according to package directions
Pinch of cloves
Pinch black pepper


Boil chopped carrots and onions with spices in stock  - I used vegetable but chicken would work also. Once carrots have boiled soft, puree mixture in food processor or with immersion blender.  Be careful using large quantities of hot liquids in the food processor and divide into smaller quantities to process if needed.

After pureeing, add rice to carrot mixture and serve.

This was a velvety textured soup but we felt like it was lacking something.  I think the next time I make it I will add some brown sugar, and possibly some nutmeg.  I think it would add an extra layer of flavor.  Also, adding a bit more pepper might round it out nicely.

It was a hearty meal after a busy day spent outdoors.  I roasted the turkey the night before and used homemade whole wheat bread for the sandwiches and they looked as good as they tasted.  A lot of Sunday dinners for us rely on grazing on leftovers or pb&j; but this was an easy and healthy meal and we'll definitely have it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment