Friday, January 20, 2012

Neopolitan Bundt Cake


I wanted to do something different for dessert so I kept thinking throughout the day about what I could make and finally it came to me.  Cake.  I love cake so this is not shocking news that cake popped into my head.  But, how to make it different?  Unique?  I have seen neopolitan cakes before while searching recipes, so I decided to try one of my own.  Now, I would love to say that I made my own cake batter...I had the recipe picked out, ready to go and then completely ran out of enough time to gather all of my ingredients and still be done in time to get the daycare kiddos up from nap, etc, etc.  And there was this last, lonely box of cake mix downstairs in the pantry.  Which happened to be a white mix.  SOOOOO...yeah, I cheated that step.   I'm sorry.  I really am. If it helps at all, the cake turned out beautifully but didn't have that "homemade" cake taste.  I was mad at myself for not taking the extra steps for such a pretty dessert, but I do feel better that I've confessed and will do better the next time!

I did divide the prepared batter into thirds - one was left as prepared, and to one I added about 1/4 cup of strawberry preserves, and to the last one I added about 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips and 2 T of cocoa powder.   I layered the batters in a greased bundt pan and baked at 350 for about 45 minutes.

I wanted to add a special topping, so instead of a sugar glaze, I decided on a chocolate glaze with more mini chips added.  I used about 1/2 c of powdered sugar, 1 T cocoa powder and 2-3T of milk.  I mixed it until smooth and added the chips.  I drizzled it over the cake and then scattered a few more chips on top.  It was hard to resist dipping a finger into the glaze as it set.

Dinner didn't happen as planned because of a slight medical emergency (we're all fine and it wasn't a traumatic emergency, just required urgent care) so I was glad that I did at least have dessert made.  The Neopolitan cake made a nice dessert with the take out pizza that ended up replacing our planned Shrimp Fried Rice.  But we were all together enjoying it, and that's what mattered most!!

No comments:

Post a Comment