Thursday, January 12, 2012

Birdseed Muffins










Getting ready to Run!

For some reason, when this recipe came to me, I instantly thought of birdseed so the name stuck.  I am always on the search for something to use while running or biking that gives me energy, but isn't processed at all.  I've not been blessed with a digestive system that allows for energy gels, supplements, etc so it all comes down to real food.  Which is a blessing and a curse - I'm not fond of the chemicals in those things anyway but I need more than the occasional almond or Larabar sometimes. When I saw a lonely bag of sunflower seeds in the pantry, bought on a whim from the bulk foods section, I knew I was on to something!

Ingredients:
1 cup skim milk
1/2 cup canola oil
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups ap flour
2 packets instant oatmeal, I used Better Oats maple and brown sugar flavor
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup roasted and hulled sunflower seeds
1 scoop milled chia seeds
1 T flax seeds
1 T baking powder
1/2 t salt

Extra roasted sunflower seeds for top of muffin if desired

Heat oven to 400.

Combine wet ingredients in bowl and mix well.  Combine all dry ingredients in a separate bowl and blend well.  Combine dry and wet mixtures and mix just until moistened.

Spoon batter into greased or paper lined muffin tin.  Sprinkle tops with reserved sunflower seeds if desired.  Bake for 15-17 minutes or until tops are brown.











Much better than an energy gel!

I was a little nervous about how they'd come out - I guess I was worried they'd be too dry or too overwhelmed by the seeds and grains.  But my fears were unfounded.  They were a perfect texture - not too dry to tuck away into my pack for a hike or too health food like to have as a Saturday morning breakfast.  So, it was a win-win - packed with protein in a tasty morsel.  I think it would be a fun recipe with kids too - they'd love the idea of cooking with "birdseed!"

This post has been added to Foodie Friends Friday...go check it out!



And please check out Walking on Sunshine...my gateway to Foodie Friends!  :)

8 comments:

  1. Wow, that title really threw me off. I think it's great that this recipe uses chia seeds, because chia seeds are soooo good for you. They're really amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the title was a little misleading :) But it did remind me off the "look" of birdseed when I imagined them in my mind. And chia seeds are wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a vegan, I'm usually eating being told I "like a bird". These muffins are perfect. I'm pretty sure I can switch it up and make them vegan with some almond milk and some more flax seed (instead of the egg). Hope to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it should be a fairly easy swap. I thought about using almond milk since dairy and running don't usually go well for me either but thought I'd make my first batch and then go from there with changes. Let me know if you do try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the grains that you put in these muffins. I know all to well that I need to be eating more and I do like sunflower seeds-but there are hardly any baked goods out there using them. Thanks for sharing this one-yum! Very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much! It was the sunflower seeds that started it all...there really aren't many recipes out there for them. At least there's one more out there now :) Glad you stopped by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're sweet to give me a shout out! I didn't know what you meant by birdseed muffins! They look so good! Thanks for joining Foodie Friend's Friday! Please come back next Friday with another great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. [...] because you make them in a pinch and they don’t take long to cook.  And since I shared my Birdseed Muffins it only made sense I’d be drawn there!  These look amazing and I’ll be making them [...]

    ReplyDelete