Sunday, January 15, 2012

Carne Asada Cheese Tacos with Chayote Stirfry

Watching Food Network together is something that the hubby and I both enjoy.  It gives us new ideas for the menu and I enjoy seeing what types of new foods I can incorporate into our household.  This morning, we were watching Mexican Made Easy and she made the most amazing creation - tacos out of cheese.  No tortilla, no shell of any kind - just fried, folded over cheese.  Oh my gosh.  Seriously, I did not know that possible.  But it looked like something we would love.  And we loved the idea so much that I scrapped the Cuban Paninis off of the dinner menu and made these instead. 

I'm sure that fried cheese with strips of marinated beef at the core is not super healthy, so I did decide to boil some chayote squash, slice them thin and stirfry them with some peppers, onions, and fajita seasonings.  They could have also replaced the beef on the taco for a vegetarian entree.  As a side dish, they were the perfect balance for the heaviness of the taco. 



The recipe I followed is from Food Network and I really didn't change anything.  I did use a different cut of meat but I don't think that affected the outcome.  Frying the cheese was the most intimidating part but how can this be wrong?

Also, on the same episode, she made a Chia Limeade.  Just for fun, we decided to make that as well to go with our dinner...very refreshing! 


It was a fun meal to prepare and was pretty easy too.  We were so glad we tuned into the show this morning because it made for a pretty tasty dinner!

3 comments:

  1. The fried cheese looks so good! All bubbly!! YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it. I seriously tried to talk the hubby into it for lunch to no avail. Oh well. Next time!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fried cheese um yeah can I have dinner at your house. Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete