Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Key West Penne with Blackberry Pear Salad


I was a bit skeptical when the hubby read this recipe to me, but he seemed so excited I thought we could at least give it a try.  We wanted to make something special for New Year's but we don't go out so I wanted to really go all out with something different and that we'd really like.  I am a big time seafood fan so this really hit the spot!  I added the Blackberry Pear Salad to really brighten up the meal and it did just that.  It was like a taste of summer on a winter holiday! 

If you want to read the original recipe, it can be found here.  I did make a few changes, nothing earth shattering but just attempts to limit some calories and fat.  Don't worry, plenty of both still remain! It really was one of the easiest recipes ever, and I would make it again. 

Ingredients:

1 pound box of penne pasta, or any similar type would do
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 pound scallops
1 8 oz jar of sun dried tomatoes packed in olive oil, slightly drained then chopped or julienned
1 12 oz jar of  marinated artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
1 pint half and half
1 cup grated romano/parmesan blend

Boil pasta according to directions.  Cook to al dente, drain.

While pasta is cooking, bring a large skillet to medium high heat and add shrimp, scallops, tomatoes and artichoke hearts.  Cook until shrimp turns pink, reduce heat and then add half and half and cheese.  Cook through and then toss with pasta. 



It's really that simple.  I was pretty surprised how easy of a recipe it was, and also was a bit surprised at how wonderful it tasted.  Like I said, I was pretty skeptical of the sweetness of the seafood and cream sauce being tossed in with the tomatoes and artichokes.  But it worked really well together and was very balanced.  Hubby said this had to be added to the "I'll make it again" list so I know he liked it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment