Monday, January 23, 2012

Weekly Menu 1/23-1/29

I do try and get to my menu planning on the Friday before the week starts, but more often than not, I'm working on getting it together as the week starts.  Luckily, I have a pretty well stocked freezer and did lots of canning over the summer, so only the freshest ingredients need purchased and that happens throughout the week anyway.  So, I am getting my menu finally completed this afternoon and it looks like a pretty yummy week!

When I plan my menu, I take into account how much time I will have over naptime to throw the meat into a marinade, or ingredients into a crockpot and I think every home has it's own rhythm for that sort of thing. I've been asked how I prepare such great meals for the kids and still have time (and money!) left over to feed my own family healthy, whole meals in the evening.  It really comes down to planning.  I stock up on freezer goods on sale, and waste nothing.  I am a big fan of the freezer because it is so versatile.  I include the kids in our plans and in the kitchen for prep or helping to mix ingredients.  My passion spills over to them and they enjoy their time in the kitchen a lot.  I also am flexible.  If something just is too expensive when I get to the store, I will swap it for another ingredient or another meal if need be.  I buy almost all of our fruits and vegetables organic and local and am getting there on our meat.  It's more difficult to plan for I've found because good supply is hard to rely on.  All in all, our grocery bill for my husband and me, our 16 year old son and our 20 year old daughter, who may or may not eat at home each evening, as well as the six daycare children is less than $125 a week.

So, here's my menu for this week:  enjoy and please ask questions if you need more info.

Family Menu Table

No comments:

Post a Comment