Monday, January 2, 2012

Asian Pork over Citrus Slaw


I was so excited when I got a box in the mail from Kikkoman containing Kara-Age Soy-Ginger Seasoned Coating Mix!  I love trying new things and it is different from anything else I've made lately, so I started thinking of when to use it.  And, then, I had a brilliant thought...New Year's Day.  I don't know about you, but around here, we're big on the whole pork n' sauerkraut New Year's tradition.  Gotta have it.  But pork is pork and cabbage is cabbage...right?  Of course, first thing the hubby says..."so, no hot dogs?"  Nope.  Not a one.  Yay me for not having to buy them!

So, I got my list ready and planned it out.  I had originally planned to make these as a rolled up in lettuce leave sort of dish but that didn't work out nearly as well as I'd hoped.  Oh well, there were great with just the pork and slaw.  I think when made again, I might try wrapping them like a spring roll in a rice paper wrapper, or as is.  It was a yummy dish.  The sour and sweet of the slaw really balanced the heavier fried texture of the pork well. 


Ingredients:

1 pound of pork tenderloin cut into small cubes, about 1"
Kikkoman Kara-Age Soy-Ginger Seasoned Coating Mix
2 medium sized oranges, seedless would be easiest to deal with
1/4 cup sesame oil
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 large carrot shredded
1 head of chinese cabbage, shredded
1 tablespoon of honey
Canola oil for frying the pork

First, I made the slaw and set it aside.  Combine the shredded cabbage and carrots in a large bowl. Peel and section one orange and toss the orange, cabbage and carrot together.  Into a separate bowl, juice the remaining orange, and add the oil, vinegar and honey.  Whisk those ingredients together until really emulsified and then add to the vegetable/fruit mixture. Really toss the slaw with the dressing well and then set aside. 


Heat a pan on medium to high heat with about 3/4 to 1" of oil covering the bottom of the pan.  Moisten the pork cubes with water, then toss with the coating mix in a large plastic bag.  Add the pork to the heated oil and let cook through, turning to get both sides golden brown.  Once cooked, remove and let drain on a paper towel.


Place the pork on top of the slaw and enjoy!


I hope you enjoyed our experience of trying out Kikkoman's Kara-Age Soy-Ginger Seasoned Coating Mix!  As you can see from the above picture, this was part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker program. 

No comments:

Post a Comment