Thursday, January 5, 2012

Italian Winter Soup

I made up the name.  I'm so bad at naming my creations.  I apologize for those of you subjected to my awful naming skills.  But this soup was not awful.  It was so wonderful, especially since the temps had dipped to a balmy 13 the day I made it.  Sure was a welcome dinner after a cold, windy day.

My crock pot is a favorite cold weather cooking appliance.  I'm not sure why I don't use it as much in the warm weather but I just don't seem to.  But the versatility of it really can't be beat.  At my house, we are big fans of Olive Garden soups.  Chicken Gnocchi, Zuppa Di Toscana.  Love them!!  So, this soup was inspired by those soups.

Ingredients:

1 lb ground turkey, browned and seasoned with sea salt and Italian seasoning blend (I used Tastefully Simple)
4 cups of vegetable broth
6 cups of chopped kale & chard blend
1 can Cannelini beans, drained and rinsed
5 large potatoes cut into small cubes
1 clove of minced garlic

Directions, Combine all ingredients in the crock pot and cook until potatoes are tender and greens are wilted.

The greens will fill the crockpot at first but they cook down quickly.
I don't tend to season the broth because I really heavily season the meat and allow it to seep the flavor into the rest of the soup.  It's a personal preference so feel free to adjust.

Soups ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment