Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Simplicity

I am feeling very settled in lately. Do you know what I mean?  It seems like I'm always writing about thankfulness, love, family and all of that good stuff.  :)  It's a great problem to have - this whole being comfortable in my own skin thing.  Monday nights are scheduled rest days in the marathon plan, so no running, no biking, nothing even remotely related to fitness happened at my house.  What did happen?  Loaded Baked Potato Soup with French Bread for dinner and Peanut Butter Pudding Pie for dessert.  Say it with me...aaahhhh.  Comfort food at it's finest - in a word - Simplicity. 

It was a bit chilly outside, so being able to relax on the couch with the hubby, enjoying some conversation and soup and each others company was so relaxing.  It was better than any date at the finest restaurant.  (You hear that dear?  Now you know!)  The soup was perfect - creamy but with a little tanginess from the Greek yogurt and cheddar cheese and the bread was perfect for cleaning up the leftovers in the bowl.


And dessert?  Oh my gosh, do not get me started....  Well, okay, you twisted my arm.  It was like a Reese's cup in a pie!  I have never made my own from scratch chocolate pudding before, so I was a little concerned but with no good reason because it was perfect!  I used a peanut butter cookie dough for the crust and then spooned the pudding, still warm, on top and then popped it in the fridge.  The pudding soaked in just enough that it lent a creaminess to the crust and it was better than I would have imagined.  It's all I can do to not get a slice out of the fridge RIGHT NOW. 

Sometimes, it really is the most simple things that can bring us the greatest rewards in life.  Case in point....my lunch today.  Leftover bread topped with double creme brie and dried cherries and popped it the oven at 400 until the brie just started to run.  I end all my ramblings with a picture of the most perfect bite on a dreary day...


Oh, you want recipes?  Well, okay...

Loaded Baked Potato soup (Made in Crockpot)

6 largish white potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 cups vegetable stock
2 cloves garlic, minced,  or 2 t minced garlic
1 medium white onion chopped fine
2-4 strips of chopped, cooked turkey bacon (real bacon will work too but add it at the end not as cooking)
2 T chives, dried or fresh chopped
1/4 cup butter
2 T salt
1 cup skim milk
1 cup light cream
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, with about 1 cup more for adding to top of each bowl

Put the first 8 ingredients in the crockpot and put on medium for 6-7 hours.  When done smash potatoes (you can keep in the crock pot) and add the remainder of the ingredients.  Let heat through about 20 minutes before serving.  Add cheese and additional chives and bacon if desired before serving.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Pie

Peanut Butter Cookie Crust ( adapted from cooks.com)

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 t vanilla
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt

Cream butter, peanut butter and sugars thoroughly. Add egg and vanilla. Beat well. Combine flour, baking soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture and mix well.  Press mixture into a 9 inch pie plate and bake at 350 for about 25-30 minutes.  Watch the sides because they will brown quicker than the center, but you want the center to be just slightly underdone.  When it comes out, it will be puffy in the center but it should deflate on its own.  You can use a spatula to gently "help it along" if you like.

While it's cooling you can make the pudding that will set so nicely down into that well.

Chocolate Pudding ( adapted from Smitten Kitten)


1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 cups skim milk
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 t vanilla

Smitten Kitten's recipe is almost identical except I used a lesser quality chocolate chips because it's what I had on hand, and I used skim milk and it was rich enough for us.  I never have whole milk in the house or I may have tried a half and half approach.  I also didn't use a double boiler.  Instead...

I mixed the first 4 ingredients in a large saucepan and brought to a semi boil, whisking pretty much the entire time.  It took about 10 minutes to get thick, and when it did, I removed it from the heat and added the chips and vanilla.  I spooned enough into the pie well to bring it up the crust and then refrigerated the whole pie together (my crust was almost completely cooled before adding the pudding)

And I even had enough pudding leftover to spoon into 3 little dishes.  It was super creamy and smooth.  I loved it, and was so happy that I never again need those little boxes of pudding!!  Give it a try, it was easy and fast and I know what every ingredient is.  :)

4 comments:

  1. Mmm, that chocolate pie looks delicious. So jealous! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll share, but you better get here quick. There's only a few slices left!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Sheri! You really had a GREAT day! I'm glad you got to relax a bit. And I am all about simple! It's the little things in life that can be so good! The soup looks fabulous...luscious and rich. And that pie! What a GREAT idea to use the peanut butter cookie dough for the crust!!! But you know...even that little bite of bread with brie and cherries would have made me happy! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you, Anne. Baked Brie on bread is one of my most favorite treats!! And then the cherries on top...now I'm hungry for it all over again!

    Thank you for all of your wonderful comments. A nice treat before heading off to bed.

    ReplyDelete