Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Chard stuffed meatloaf

Okay, so I will preface with this by saying that boy says I ruined meatloaf by putting grass inside of it.  Sigh.  I hope that someday he understands the benefits of eating well and can embrace something a bit healthier than fast food and milkshakes.  Two of his favorite food groups.  I guess at 16 these are the great parts of your life!



Now, off to my meatloaf creation.  True to my usual style, I have a very loose recipe to give you.

Combine 2 pounds of ground meat - I used 2 pounds of ground turkey, but any combo would work well.  I mixed in about 2 cups of bread crumbs, 2 T of italian seasoning, about 1/2 c of fresh shredded romano cheese, 1 egg and 1/2 c of skim milk.  Once I had all of that combined, I spread it out into a rectangle on a baking sheet with a lip to catch runaway juices and then put about 2-3 cups of blanched swiss chard and rolled the ends of the rectangle over it.  Then, I made a mixture of dijon mustard, honey, and a bit of water to make it thinner and used a brush to spread it over the whole meatloaf.  I then baked it for about an hour and 10 minutes at 350 or until the meatloaf juices were running clear.

Let the meatloaf rest for about 10-15 minutes to set and slice and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment