Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A Whole Wheat Bread that we love...finally!

I have been on a mission ever since I started making bread...to find a whole wheat recipe that wasn't too dense, was mostly fresh ground and that actually would rise a bit.  And I think I finally, finally did it!!!

I made two loaves of bread yesterday just experimenting.  The first was a colossal failure and we now enough whole wheat breadcrumbs to last us for quite awhile.  But the second loaf?  True perfection.  I was in awe of how beautiful the loaf was as I started to cut it.  And inside was just as nice.  Perfect texture!  I couldn't wait to make another loaf and make sure it wasn't a fluke. It wasn't!!!  I can't convey through this post just how happy I was.  What a nice loaf of bread....



So, would you like me to share this awesome recipe I have come up with?  Yes?  Ok, here goes..

Ingredients

1 1/2 c hot water

2 3/4 c whole wheat flour

1 c bread flour

1 T salt

2 T butter, melted

3 T honey

1 T gluten

3 t instant yeast

I used my Z bread machine on the dough cycle, put all of the ingredients in the order suggested - wet first, then flour and then yeast on top - and started the machine.  After the first rise, the cycle was over so I put the dough into a loaf pan for the second rise in a warm spot of the kitchen.  Once it was about an inch over the pan, about 35 minutes later, I put it into the oven preheated to 375 for about 25 minutes.  I watched it carefully for the final few minutes to be sure it didn't burn since it was the first time.  I tapped on it to be sure it sounded hollow before taking it out to rest.

And then, I just enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment