Sunday, February 5, 2012

Whole Wheat Stromboli


As far as dinners go at my house, pizza is usually the number one pick.  Hubby and the boy both love it, and it's something that's usually easy to customize to suit everyone's taste.  Especially now that I've got the awesome breadmaker that makes it super easy to have fresh dough at the press of a button.  Well, it's a little more complicated than that, but it doesn't seem like it.  As long as I give it an hour and a half head start, it's ready to go.  Now, something that we don't have as frequently is stromboli - which is interesting because isn't it really just like an inside out pizza?  I don't know why but we don't have it as often.  I was in the mood for it something awful and just had to have it.  I wanted something a bit healthier than the greasy kind from the local pizza place - I mean, sometimes, that will do and it tastes awesome - but for an every day dinner, healthier is better.  So, I decided to go with a whole wheat version of the dough to start...here's my "Z" breadmaker recipe:

 

Whole Wheat Pizza Dough

adapted from Zojirushi cookbook

1 1/4 c water

1 1/2 T olive oil

2 c bread flour

1 1/4 c whole wheat flour

1 1/2 T sugar

1 1/2 t salt

1 1/2 t active dry yeast

I put all of that in the breadmaker and set it to the dough cycle.  An hour and a half later...awesomeness.  It really is a wonderful thing.

This recipe will yield enough for 2 large thick crust pizzas or 4 thin crust.  I usually make it, freeze half and use the other half right away.  Then, when I need a pizza dough, there's one only a thaw away.  :) I would imagine this could be adapted to make by hand pretty easily - just let it rise about an hour.  Once I was ready to assemble the stromboli, I rolled the dough out into a large rectangle.  Be sure to oil the dough with a little vegetable oil or it will make a gooey mess!

For this recipe, I used the whole dough for one stromboli because it goes fast around here.  And I like a little leftovers for lunch the next day!

The filling can be adapted to meet whatever you're looking for.  This stromboli had a combo of about a pound of browned and seasoned (salt and pepper) ground turkey breast, sauteed with a small chopped onion, about a cup of pepper strips (I used frozen), about a cup of fresh sliced mushrooms, a small jar of bruschetta topping and then it was topped off with slices of provolone once the filling was spread down the middle of the dough rectangle.  I let all of the cook together and then cool because if your stromboli filling is too hot, it will heat through the dough before a crust can form, or even as you're rolling it all up.  I then lined a cookie sheet with parchment paper and moved the stromboli on over!

I cooked it for about 30 minutes @ 375- checking to be sure it wasn't burning, but wanting a nice crust.

When it came out of the oven, it was gorgeous!  And pretty yummy to boot!  Enjoy!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment