Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Strawberry Balsamic Dressing



It's funny the transformation that begins to take place when you consider what your food is made of, where it's coming from and what it is doing to your body.  And, suddenly, things that seemed so trivial, such as salad dressing, take on a whole new look.  As I was prepping dinner last night - Honey Lime Marinated Barramundi, yummy - I was looking for salad dressing.  Then, I realized that I had none because I hadn't bought any because I was trying to eliminate processed foods from our grocery budget.  So, I pulled out my handy mini chopper and set to work chopping up some strawberries I had frozen last summer and thawed for use in our spinach salad.  Now, instead of an ingredient, they'd become the garnish, or more likely the star attraction because it was the best choice I could have made.  Oh my goodness, that dressing was amazing!!  And, oh, so simple.  Why have I ever bought dressing before?

I tried to get some pictures but awesomeness is hard to capture so you'll have to take my word for it.  These pictures do not do it justice.

The best part?  5 ingredients.  Yup.  That's it.

1 cup chopped strawberries, fresh or thawed from frozen

2 t organic strawberry preserves, or homemade jam

3 T olive oil

1  T balsamic vinegar

salt and pepper to taste

Either use a food processor on pulse, or whisk by hand.  Let sit for more intense flavor, or you can use right away like I did.  Store leftovers in the fridge.

I found this recipe on the food network site and it was amazing!  I can't wait to make another salad with it.  I tossed it on baby spinach with pecan halves.

No comments:

Post a Comment