Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Yellow Tomato Jam


Just as all good things must come to an end, so must summer.  Although I won't miss running and biking in the heat, I will miss my garden.  My tomatoes have been overproducing this year, especially the yellow grape ones. I wanted a way to capture the harvest, so I decided to make some tomato jam to warm up those winter days.  However, since I've never made tomato jam before, I decided to make a small batch and get the taste right before chopping up pounds and pounds of tomatoes. 


My recipe:

About 2 cups of diced tomatoes - any variety - I used yellow grape tomatoes
1/3 cup sugar
1 T lime juice
1/2 t ground ginger
1/4 t cinnamon
1 t salt
1/2 t red pepper flakes (or more if you like it spicy)
pinch of ground cloves
Optional: I added a teaspoon of a spicy honey mustard sauce about halfway through cooking because I felt like something was missing.  The brand I used was Bold and Brassy from Tastefully Simple but I imagine any would do.

Put everything together, bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer until reduced.  My small batch took about a half hour to cook down with stirring about every 2-3 minutes.  Let cool and serve on just about anything.  I tried mine out on a fresh roll but I imagine it could be used in place of ketchup, as a salad dressing, anywhere that a tomato taste would add that kick.  It really turned out so well that I can't wait to make a big batch and can it. 


And just because this batch of rolls was too beautiful not to share...nothing spectacular, just my regular bread recipe but rolled into logs and twisted into rolls.  I brushed a little melted butter on top and they just looked perfect!




No comments:

Post a Comment