Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Veggie Lasagna

What a beautiful lasagna!


Okay, so about a month ago, I told hubby that I was making vegetable lasagna for dinner.  I was surprised at how excited he was about it because he likes it but doesn't love it usually.  So I happily put it in the oven and couldn't wait to serve it.  Cutting him a large slice, I handed it over like a prized possession and waited for the accolades.  However, the reality of what happened was far different than expected.  "I thought this was going to be the white kind," is the response I got.  See, I had made a marinara sauced veggie lasagna, not an ooey-gooey alfredo-type lasagna.  He conceded that it was still good, and probably healthier, but just wasn't what he'd expected. 

Tonight, he should not have any issues with my vegetable lasagna.  On the menu, it said lasagna skillet for dinner.  What that means is that I cook up some mafalda noodles, some marinara and add some ricotta and we're good to go.  Easy and pretty tasty.  But I decided to do something a bit more complex and surprise him.  I did use bottled alfredo sauce instead of making my own because somehow a bottle ended up in the fridge and I wanted to use it up.

As usual for me, not a specific recipe, but this is how I made it.  In a 9" X 13" pan I put a coating of alfredo sauce on the bottom.  I topped it with lots of fresh spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and some green beans.  Then I put lasagna noodles (ready to bake variety) on top of that, and smeared a ricotta, mozzarella and egg mixture on top of that.  From there, I put another layer of spinach and veggies on and a thin layer of alfredo sauce.  More lasagna noodles over that, and then another ricotta mixture layer, and then layered spinach and fresh diced tomatoes,  Final layer of noodles goes on top, along with a thin layer of alfredo and some grated mozzarella.  I baked it at 350 for about 45 minutes so I can still pop it in the oven this evening for a warm through so it's bubbling from the oven for dinner. 

I can't wait for my husband to see this one...it might not make it to the oven to reheat. 

2 comments: