Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Perfect Playtime Lunch

As a child care provider, I feel obligated to serve healthy foods and snacks to the little ones we share our home with each day.  I try very hard to not give them too much processed food, too much sugar, too much of anything that isn't natural and good for them.  One occasional exception is hot dogs.  I do buy the most natural types I can but it is just one of the those "must have" childhood foods.  However, how I serve it is different than the norm.  I make a muffin or cornbread that is based on its' unhealthy fair food cousin, the corn dog.  I make cornbread, one of my favorite things, add in some corn, chopped hot dogs and bake.  Served with some fresh fruit, it's pretty good lunch.  Kids love it and it's healthy! 

Recipe:
1 cup flour
1 1/2 cups cornmeal
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1 large egg
4 tablespoons melted butter
2 hot dogs, quarter and diced
1/2 cup of cut corn, either fresh or thawed from frozen

Mix all ingredients together, either put into 12 greased muffin tins or into an 8X8 greased pan and bake at 375 for 20 minutes for muffins, 25 for an 8X8 pan, or until toothpick inserted is clear. 

I should add that the artwork was provided by Lucas, one of our little guys here.  He loves painting and this was his interpretation of a watercolor flower study.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment