Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Dessert first, please!

Easy dinner tonight...Beef Stew in the crockpot.  What could be easier than that?  Not much.  So, once that was all set and cooking, I got to work on a nice dessert.  Something not as easy.  Why?  I don't know.  Because that's me.  I spied some phyllo dough in the freezer and the wheels were set in motion.  I devised a berry strudel made from phyllo dough thinking I had some leftover pie filling to use.  Alas, no, I didn't.  Hmmmm.....well....I remembered there was a triple berry mix of dried berries in the cupboard (I almost always have dried fruit in the house, I love it!)  and I boiled it with enough water to cover it until the berries were soft and then drained them, reserving about half of the liquid and added some rose wine to reduce to a sauce.  Once cooled, I spread the berries onto the dough with walnuts and brown sugar, rolled it into a log shape and brushed it with butter.  I did save a few berries for garnish and also whipped some goat cheese, confectioners sugar and milk together to drizzle on top for a nice creamy note with zing.  I loved how it came out.  I did eat my stew, minus the beef, but was sure to leave plenty of room for what was coming after dinner!






2 comments:

  1. That looks gooey and berry yummy... ;-) And yes dessert first for sure. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! Now, if I'd made your tilapia tacos, maybe dessert could've waited a bit. I am making those this weekend and I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete