Monday, March 19, 2012

Lava Cakes redone

I know I've mentioned before that one of my hubby's favorite desserts is lava cakes.  I make them at least once a week.  The boy and I like them as well, but we like ours cold and after they've been in the fridge overnight, they come out tasting like fudge.  Yummy!  So, since we eat this particular dessert so often, I wanted to try and experiment a bit with it and see if I could make it as healthy as a oozing chocolate dessert could possibly be.  Luckily, the hubby is pretty forgiving with my experiments because he understands it's all to make us healthier and still feed him dessert.  So, while stockpiling bulk foods last weekend, I decided to load up on carob chips.  This was really a stretch for me because when my mom tried carob chips, I remember them tasting awful as a kid.  So, as an adult, it's something I've avoided trying to expose my family too.  I bought the good chocolate, used it sparingly and figured I was okay.  But, that day, I decided to bite the bullet and give it a try.

First experiment?  Taste was okay but the cakes were a kind of grayish color.  Ugh.  Not appetizing to look at.  I had to rethink things....and then I thought maybe I was not tempering the batter enough because the melted carob had hardened up in some areas of the batter.  So, tonight was experiment #2. And.....voila!

 



The color was perfect and the consistency was spot on!  I couldn't resist a little addition of homemade whipped cream to the top.  The cream from the creamery this week was so thick that the whipped cream almost became butter before I could catch it. So heavenly!

Recipe time!

Carob and Peanut Butter Lava Cakes

4 T organic butter, softened

3 large eggs

1/3 cup sugar

8 oz carob chips, melted ( I used a scale, but about 1 cup plus about 3 T should get you there)

2 T organic peanut butter

1/3 cup flour

1/4 t salt

Cream butter and sugar, then add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Add peanut butter, flour and salt and mix well.  Melt carob chips over a double boiler and then spoon gently and slowly into mixed ingredients.  Blend well, but don't overwork.  Spoon into greased ramekins or muffin tins could be used if no ramekins are available.

Bake at 400 for 10 -12 minutes depending on the size of your baking dish.
I have to add how much personal satisfaction it is to cook with ingredients that I've made, or that are fresh and good for my family.  I started last week making our butter and it has such a wonderful flavor and consistency.  I was looking at a cost basis for starting to make it, but again have been surprised at how often something that costs less is so much better.   I also was blessed with a gift of farm fresh eggs from our neighbor last week and have been in heaven making use of them.  I know I still owe them a baked something in return, just looking for the right thing!  Our journey to making more and more of what we need and buying less and less processed has been a interesting one.  I never know what's going to be around the next corner.  But I know I will keep looking!!!

 

 

1 comment:

  1. A chocolate cake that's done in less than 20 minutes...yes please!!!

    ReplyDelete