Sunday, March 18, 2012

Getting Ready for Spring

We have been so busy here lately that my blog was looking a little neglected, so I thought I'd better catch everyone up.  I'm still here, busy living our homemade life and loving this beautiful weather we've had lately.

Yesterday, the hubby and I bought a new swing to hang from our deck and he replaced the sliding door screens while I got busy planting seeds in the garden.  He was also so sweet as to buy me a composter bin!  I've been wanting one so badly and now it sits right beside the garden and I can't wait to use my own compost in the garden.  I also had fun yesterday cutting our lawn with our own reel mower!!!  Yay for no gas used as well as a nice workout to boot.  Luckily there were only a few patches to mow that had gotten high and it didn't take me long.  I don't know if it will be as fun of a job come mid-July when it's super hot.  But it felt good knowing we're doing our part to create as little of an impact on the world from our patch of green as we can.  I also got some blackberry bushes, relocated my strawberry patch and added another blueberry bush.  Loving our garden!!

We're excited to be headed to a beekeeping workshop on Saturday and are hoping to be able to bring home a hive from one of the venders there.  So exciting when a plan comes together.  We've also started investigating bat houses and looking into adding more bird houses to our land.  It's going to be a little forest of activity soon.  I also scattered lots of wildflower seed at the bottom of our hill near the creek and I think we're going to stop mowing down there.  One less place to mow and make it more of a natural habitat for the bees, the birds and I guess the bats as well as the slithery ones that seem to be found down there as well.  Not my favorite things but as long as I don't encounter them too often, we're good.

I've just been a flurry of activity lately...made more more butter and it was even better than my first attempt, got caught up on my grain milling, made a lunch for my sister's family as they cleaned their new house (only a few minutes away - hurray!  So excited!!)   And then made the rounds for our groceries.  And once Saturday was done, it was off to be early because today the hubby and I ran our first trail half marathon.  Well, to be honest, it was his first half marathon race at all.  And he did awesome - beat my tired butt by almost 40 minutes!

So, we have a lot going on over here on our little farm wannabe.  Next week we'll hopefully get the first raised bed terraced onto the hillside and get the peas planted, and then maybe we can get the next bed in soon for the cucumbers and then the last one for the squash.  I'm hoping our terraced beds will really make a difference in how much we'll be able to produce and make more to preserve for next winter - which means less to buy!!  This week I'm also hoping to tackle homemade dish detergent packets for the dishwasher.  I'll post pics!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment