Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Almond Loaf

As I continue on my never ending quest of how to use and not waste the leftover almond meal from my homemade almond milk, I stumbled on a great recipe for almond loaf.  Hmm.  I debated back and forth a few days, never sure if I wanted to give it a try or not.  I mean, how would it taste?  Would it be like bread?  Or cake?  So many questions later, I decided that I had to at least make it once.  I'm glad I did.  You can find the original recipe at Chocolate Chilli Mango and I didn't deviate much from it, except I didn't weigh things and I did swap for rum extract over almond.  I like the buttery tone it adds to it, so that was a win.  And I had used all of my dates up making the Almond Joy protein bites a few days ago, so I did use brown rice syrup instead.



After I baked it (which took about a half hour longer than the recipe listed) I couldn't wait to try it.  It tasted like a dense souffle.  Yum!  But it was more savory than sweet so I had to make a bit of caramel sauce to go with it and wow, that was the sweet treat I was hoping for!  Quite a pleasant surprise  and well worth the wait.

 

Almond Loaf

2 cups of leftover almond meal from milk making, or 2 cups of ground, sprouted almonds

5 T brown rice syrup

4 eggs (I was lucky enough to have a neighbor give us 2 dozen farm fresh eggs!  What a great recipe to showcase them!)

1 t vanilla extract

1 t rum extract

3 t baking powder

1 cup almond milk but I think it could go down to 3/4 cup depending on how wet your almonds are

Whisk eggs together in a medium bowl and then add all ingredients.  Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake at 350 for about an hour and 10 minutes.  Check frequently as it may need less, may need more time.

2 comments:

  1. [...] myself.  I made these for the daycare kids…they’re loving the almond meal breakfasts (see my almond bread post here) and I thought I’d try something different, but similar.  In an attempt to bring some [...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete