Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Cinnamon Streusel Topped Blueberry Muffins - and as a bonus, they're Gluten Free!

Since limiting gluten in my own diet, I've become pretty creative at finding new flours, thickeners, etc for myself but haven't attempted to serve it to the family or to the daycare kids yet.  Today that changed, and I think they were completely okay with it.



I had found a few recipes on a search for a blueberry muffin that I thought could stand up to being tampered with.  But, when I found a Blueberry Buckle Muffin on Family Fun's site that seemed like it was the best place to start and became the inspiration for my muffin.   The biggest difference I noted is that my muffin topping sunk into the muffin, creating more of a gooey cinnamon center but I will not complain about that one time, and neither were the kids.  Seconds all around.  That never happens!!

So, here's my version, using all organic and gluten free ingredients:

1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened

1/2 cup sugar

2 eggs

3/4 cup milk

1 t vanilla extract

1 1/4 c rice flour

3/4 c garbanzo bean flour

2 t baking powder

1/4 t salt

2 c blueberries, either fresh or frozen

Topping:

1/3 c sugar

1/4 c rice flour

2 t cinnamon

1/4 c garbanzo bean flour

1/4 c butter, softened

Preheat oven to 350, and grease a 12 cup muffin tin or line with paper cups.

Cream sugar and butter together, beat in eggs and milk and then add vanilla.  Mix all dry ingredients, except topping ingredients, in a bowl and then add to wet mixture.  Don't overmix, just until all is wet, and then add blueberries.  Gently incorporate them into the mix and then spoon mixture into muffin cups, about 3/4 of the way full.

Mix all topping ingredients together in a separate bowl and then sprinkle topping over each muffin.

Bake for about 20 minutes or until set.

 

I will make this recipe again, but I will try a less pronounced flour than garbanzo bean to pair with the rice.  While the rice has a grittier texture, it has a nice flavor, but the garbanzo bean was just a little stronger than I would have liked.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment