Sunday, June 17, 2012

Weekends are Made for Running

Sometimes it's figuratively running, sometimes it's just plain old literal running.  This weekend was a lot of both.

The hubby and I started our weekend off with a half marathon road race close to our house.  For some reason, we've done more long trail races than road, so this was his first road half marathon and my second so we figured on decent times for both of us.  The weather was perfect and we had a good run.  I set a new personal record with 2:17 but was a little disappointed that I didn't come in under 2:10.  Oh well.  They'll always be another race.  We enjoyed it, supported a good cause and ran a nice course.



The rest of our day was spent working around the house, running errands, heading here and there and even included a stop at a small airshow a few miles away.  Finally, we headed home and I made some yummy chocolate ice cream...recipe was exactly as in the link I gave.  Not one modification and it is delicious!  I had to get over myself and my aversion to raw things since it includes raw eggs, but it's fantastic enough that I've been able to fool myself into going along with it. And, yes, I know that the picture above is NOT chocolate ice cream...I will give you that picture soon enough.  See?



No, the first ice cream picture is the mysterious cheesecake ice cream I alluded to at the end of last week.  I was sad when we no longer had any of that in the freezer.  But there is a recipe and I will make more.  That is for sure.  It's just Father's day weekend and the hubby complained that I've not made chocolate ice cream in awhile so I did it for him.  I'll have my cheesecake another day...

If you want this deliciousness for your own, here's my recipe..

Ingredients

  • 6 oz softened lowfat cream cheese (regular would work too, I just had lowfat in the house)

  • 2 c milk - any kind really.  Obviously whole would be creamier, but it's personal preference I think.

  • 3/4 c cream

  • 2 t vanilla extract

  • 1/3 c brown sugar


Directions

  1. Blend all of the ingredients on low in a blender.  I used our Vitamix and have to always be careful not to overmix the cream because it hardens up quick in there!

  2. Pour blended mixture into ice cream maker


This was the most delicious ice cream it doesn't need a topping, but strawberries were a great choice because strawberry cheesecake is always delicious!  This ice cream has an almost caramel taste from the brown sugar and it is heavenly.  I really, really liked it.  Can you tell??

Before I get completely sidetracked with ice cream...which happens because I. LOVE. ICE. CREAM.  I have to thank Leslie on my Facebook page for commenting about using roasted beets in a salad with blue cheese and walnuts because I took her advice and ran with it...



Yep, that is a roasted beet, walnut and blue cheese salad on naan bread, and broiled to perfection.  I mean, this is awesome.  Loved it!!  My readers are pretty awesome too for these kinds of suggestions!  Naan bread is so tasty when it gets crispy and the bite of the blue cheese against the sweetness of the beets and creaminess of the toasted walnuts????  It will be made again.  For sure.

So, this morning we went out to a bike crit.  (I didn't know what it was either, but here's a wikipedia link to clue you in.)  anyway, a few friends were racing in this crit and we've never been to one so we headed out bright and early.  I was able to practice taking action shots - I've been branching out a bit from the inanimate food to try out some action.  Still using a stock lens so nothing spectacular but I'm enjoying it.  Anyway, it was interesting seeing how much change happens in such a short lap (.8 mile!) and how close those cyclists really are to each other.  Insanity.  True insanity!

After watching them compete, we headed back to the restaurant by the river, John Wright for a Father's Day brunch.  Place was packed but the food was awesome!!  Then it was home for more catching up and a trip to the dog park for the puppy...while daddy got some much deserved rest. He's not always a patient doggy when people in the house want rest so a trip out and about was just what they both needed!



So, our weekend of running has come to an end...but it was a blast!!  I hope your weekend was great whatever you did!

Enjoy,

Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment