Monday, June 4, 2012

Picnic Time...Empanaditas and Corn & Black Bean Salad

Today we were going to a cookout/picnic and each person was asked to bring a dish to share.  Since there are two of us, I opted to bring a salad and a dessert, one from each of us.  My choice for the salad is one of my favorite ones...Corn & Black Bean Salad.  I can't believe how unhealthified I used to make this...ranch dressing, cheddar cheese...ugh.  Not these days though.  It was perfect just like this!

It is just a combo of black beans, corn, tomatoes and garbanzo beans splashed with some olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sugar, salt and cilantro.  I did sprinkle a little feta cheese on just before serving.  It was so bright and crisp.  And it went quickly at the cookout.  We brought home very little of it.  I'm glad so many people enjoyed it!

My real test was making Empanaditas.  Now, I have been on a folded dough kind of kick since making Empanadas a few weeks ago, but these were different.  I found them on Eating Well's site listed as Pineapple Empanaditas but I saw something different reading the recipe.  I made a few swaps (of course!) and cut the cream cheese in half and substituted goat cheese for the missing half.  I also used almond milk instead of milk.  I thought the dough turned out well flavor-wise but it was a bit difficult to work with.  I had to be very gentle in handling it. I also swapped out the pineapple filling for 1/2 blackberry and 1/2 strawberry and used organic jams for the filling.

First, it was time to cut out all of the circles for filling..

Next, time to fill them...

First ones done are the blackberry filled ones..

Strawberry ones get a nice coating of confectioner's sugar.

These little beauties were perfect!  Small, easy to manage and I was happy we still got to bring some home.  Not that I wasn't willing to share, but it's always nice when you have a few leftovers to enjoy!

While I'm sharing, I realized I never shared my black bean burgers from last week...these are fantastic!  The recipe is from Eat, Live, Run and it's a keeper!



Enjoy!
Sheri

 

No comments:

Post a Comment