Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A Very Veggie Weekend of Fun!

Yes, it is now Tuesday and, yes, I am just now posting.  It's been a few days and I hope you all forgive me.  Weekends around here seem to blur by and by the time I realize it, we're halfway through the week!

So, here's our weekend in review...

First of all, we did no running and no biking.  Who are we???  What we did do was spend our last weekend alone together picking out plants to add to the garden, working on the house and sightseeing.  I'm not sure if sightseeing is the correct term when you've visited a place as many times as we've been to Gettysburg, but we felt like tourists!

We decided that Friday night's dinner would be our only meal out this weekend because why wreck perfection?  That in mind, we made sure meals and snacks were planned so we weren't caught out and about and tempted to go back on our promise.  And it worked.  The rest of our weekend was "homemade served here!"

[caption id="attachment_878" align="aligncenter" width="640" caption="Veggie Panini and Strawberry Pecan Studded Salad"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_879" align="aligncenter" width="640" caption="Veggie Panini close up!"][/caption]

After working outside all morning and afternoon, this sandwich/salad combo sure was a great way to wrap up the evening!  Not to mention a fantastic use of the last picking of this season's strawberries.  I will be sad to see only frozen strawberries from here on out until next year.

Dinner on the deck was a treat too!  Lentil burgers with quinoa and corn pasta made into macaroni salad! I had my first taste of a homemade sangria and of course we had to add strawberries to the table!!  Another big first, I made the mayo for the macaroni salad!!  It certainly was easy and the next time I need mayo, I will know how.  It doesn't happen often but it's good to have that tidbit saved up!

[caption id="attachment_883" align="aligncenter" width="640" caption="Eating outside is the best!!"][/caption]

Sunday morning came and we had planned a long run, we were just trying to decide between roads and trails when hubby had the brilliant idea of heading to Gettysburg for the day and walking all of the places we usually drive.  It was a hot morning and we were careful to pack snacks and water.  What a great time!!  Seeing all of the monuments we usually drive by up close and spending time in the fields on the little side trails was amazing.  There is something different about stepping foot in the same fields and paths as so many young men who fought and died in that same place than sightseeing by car and hopping out occasionally.  We saw a lot of bikes out too and next time we will definitely be packing the road bikes over to do some riding around.  We got to see re-enactors and encampments as well, which always is a fun addition to the trip!  One year were there for the actual battle anniversary and saw cannons being fired!

[caption id="attachment_882" align="aligncenter" width="640" caption="Firing guns!"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_881" align="aligncenter" width="640" caption="It would be a hot day for camping!"][/caption]

A pretty darn good weekend!  The boy is home now from his grandparents and we're back to being mom and dad but we had a great week as empty-nesters!  I've been busy prepping for the boy's senior year and getting all of our curriculum planned.  I can't believe this is my last year as a homeschool mom.  Sigh.  It's bittersweet.  But I won't miss the planning!

I hope you all had a spectacular weekend whatever you were doing too!  This weekend is our next half-marathon and here's hoping for some good weather.  I ran last night in the heat for nine miles and was a little scared by how badly my body handled the heat and humidity.  I finished it but I was a mess.

Time to go do some cleaning...have a wonderful afternoon!

Enjoy,

Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment