Friday, June 15, 2012

It's Friday! What a week!

I have been so busy this week that I have not made it to my blog to actually post since Tuesday.  I am a bad blogger.  I'm sorry.  I do expect more from myself but there is only so much me to go around sometimes and I have to choose.  This week has been a blast...we've been busy but it's been a good kind of busy and we've gotten so much accomplished that it's all worth it in the end.  Or at least that's what I tell myself.

I made some pretty tasty food this week too.  I was going to wait to tell you because I have not gotten around to uploading photos of it and posted a recipe but I made what may be the most delicious ice cream I've ever tasted.  Really.  I mean it.  At least it's the most delicious to date.  It's a cheesecake ice cream that tastes like it has some kind of browned butter caramel thing going on.  I took a bite of it, and was instantly in love.  I did manage to control myself enough for a picture and had enough wits about me to remember ingredients to tell all of you but that was it.  It was full on ice cream time after that!

I've been having some fun times with the daycare kids this week.  Our summer is going so well and we're just enjoying all the special themed days.  This week we had a teddy bear picnic, ocean themed water play, a trip to the park and library where we met up with one of our favorite friends, Leah, and a trip to Miss Karen's daycare.  It has just been so much fun!  I love the freedom that summer seems to bring to our daily schedule.  It's a break for the kids and me!

Our kitchen has been hopping too!  I love that we spend so much time there and that food is such a central part of our lives.  Thinking up new recipes and trying them out together is something that the hubby and I both enjoy.  We love thinking outside the box but staying close to what we know and love as well.



This was one of dinners this week that I was completely so glad I made.  I was worried it would be too warm out when I decided to make this dish but then we had a cool rainy night and I knew it was the right night for this!  It was super simple and just uses root veggies roasted ahead of time tossed into some fried potato and sweet potato chunks with some kale added in for the last five minutes or so.  It was very satisfying and I was glad there was leftovers because it became my lunch the next two days.   This dish reminded me so much of my grandmas - both of them - because so many of the elements of their lives that I was a part of are reflected.  I have been so blessed in my life to have such strong women as examples to follow and I am thankful that my husband is the man that he is and appreciates those qualities.  :)



My daycare kids love cooking with me and they are a lot of fun in the kitchen.  Sometimes a little too much craziness fun but that's okay.  I want them to have an appreciation for making the foods that they eat and that's where it starts.  Case in point, these little nuggets of granola cookies we made this week.  They were delicious and the kids had a blast making them! I was glad to be using up some granola that had gone a bit "soft" and wasn't as tasty in my almond milk in the morning.  I hate wasting things so anytime I can reuse or recycle in some way, I'm much happier.

I found a recipe on Brown Eyed Baker for these Granola Cookies (seriously, is there anything that she doesn't have on that page?!?) and made a few tweaks to suit our needs.

First of all, our granola had nuts in it so I took out the added nuts.  I didn't have wheat germ so I substituted a bit of extra whole wheat flour that I milled so I figured had a bit more germ in it already.  I only used the brown sugar and didn't replace the granulated, I just took it out.  Other than that, it was her recipe that is in the link above.  It was a tasty little cookie!  We rolled ours into balls because that was just fun and they cooked perfectly.  I had a few just to try them out...yep, that's why.  But the kids had seconds, and then thirds after lunch and I think these are going on the "gotta make again" list.  Maybe I won't even wait for stale granola.

Now, the weekends here and there's more running to do.  Literally.  The hubby and are running a half marathon tomorrow in our hometown.  It's his first road half marathon and I haven't done a road one since my very first race almost 4 years ago.  It should be a fun opener to our Saturday.  I'm looking forward to just getting out there and enjoying the run!

Enjoy your weekend!

Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment